High Tide Aquatics

New product reveal!

So when can we expect every Youtube vlogger to get their hands on a "media version" of these and tell us how good they are?

That said, like the idea, I tend not to buy into hype of "ours is better!!!" . As it stands don't see myself swapping out G4s xr30s, because they do work, although would love to see this side by side with what I got just not worth the expense for me although I'm sure someone will do it in time.

Also while the video there has that punch of epicness to it with the music, really not a fan of it basically trashing all previous LED lights saying how they're doing it wrong. Like it was VERY specific in attacking other brands which just seems kind of petty. My 2 cents.

So when can we expect every Youtube vlogger to get their hands on a "media version" of these and tell us how good they are?

That said, like the idea, I tend not to buy into hype of "ours is better!!!" . As it stands don't see myself swapping out G4s xr30s, because they do work, although would love to see this side by side with what I got just not worth the expense for me although I'm sure someone will do it in time.

Also while the video there has that punch of epicness to it with the music, really not a fan of it basically trashing all previous LED lights saying how they're doing it wrong. Like it was VERY specific in attacking other brands which just seems kind of petty. My 2 cents.
There isn't a 'media version'. We don't sponsor vloggers, if they want to review our product, they buy it themselves. All the NSI testers paid for their own units, regardless if they were just a regular reefer or someone with more media clout. They all purchased their own units.

In the video we show what the differences are between our product and others, its not trashing to point out what and why our product is different. Would you have known the differences if they were not illustrated and pointed out to you? A product has to differentiate itself from others and offer something that other products do not. If not, why bother to make it if it is the same as everyone else?

I can tell you that going from a G4 to the Sky was a big difference in coverage, less shadowing and better colors. It is the exact swap we did on Paul's tank. The difference was very noticeable. But you won't believe me anyway, I work for Neptune.

The million dollar question… is it better than kessil which I consider to be the Cadillac of LED fixtures.
I'm a Kessil guy. I've been since the 360s. Currently running 2 AP700s. I love those lights.
The difference you will see is that the harsh shadows from the point source is gone. You will need more Kessils to achieve the same. The look is closer to an LED/T5 hybrid setup.
There is less shimmer than a Kessil (1 of my dislikes of our light, I love shimmer and I may modify the Sky when I get mine to have more shimmer), but you get the same excellent blending of the lights, no disco (refraction at the light margins) just like the Kessils.

Reactions: JVU
@sfsuphysics you don't have to believe anything I say since I do work for Neptune but I'll tag Richard Ross @Thales who is running Skys. Unless you feel that he is bought by us too.

In addition, Dana Riddle is doing independent tests on the Sky and will publish his findings when he is done with it. I would imagine you would trust Dana's take? Or is he also a stooge?

Dana is a stooge, but for different reasons, and I wouldn't mind reading some updated info from him. :rolleyes:

I would really like to hear Rich's, @Thales , take on the new lights.

Would really like to see them in person. What's the estimated time frame for when they'll actually be released out to the wild? As in available for purchase at the LFS.

Dana is a stooge, but for different reasons, and I wouldn't mind reading some updated info from him. :rolleyes:

I would really like to hear Rich's, @Thales , take on the new lights.

Would really like to see them in person. What's the estimated time frame for when they'll actually be released out to the wild? As in available for purchase at the LFS.
Keep an eye out at Neptune Aquatics @robert4025 and Aquatic Collection in the coming weeks.

I should be getting a set over my office tank soon as well.

Get going on that office tank of yours. I haven't seen an update in awhile.

Huh, Neptune eh. I think I know which tank it'll go over, but it's a big speculation on my part.

I can definitely see how the coverage will be great, and no annoying shadows.
Yes, that means less shimmer. To each their own. I will gladly give up shimmer.
(Coverage and shadows are the main reason I have 12 discrete ai primes)

But I see claims of "no disco effect" in the marketing.
That seems to defy physics a bit to me. ???
The way eliminate disco effect is by clustering the different colors very close together.
But I look at the light, and I see different colors spread out.
The sheer number of leds will reduce disco of course, but that angular distance is still there.

I’m very skeptical of the hype, but just because I always am, nothing personal. It looks like a Radion or black box LED with good diffuser and better Apex integration. Which is good.

I’m in no rush to make up my mind, and we will get plenty of opportunities to see them in action, get more technical details, and hear people’s thoughts soon enough.

It is pretty obviously still going to have some disco effect for people very sensitive to that (like me), similar to a Radion with diffuser, but this is fine with most people.

I like that it can use Ecotech‘s mounting hardware, I’m a big proponent of standards. But I doubt Ecotech is thrilled with that unless there was some agreement about it ahead of time.

Overall it is good for hobbyists to have another option in the hobby, so it is welcome news.

But I see claims of "no disco effect" in the marketing.
That seems to defy physics a bit to me. ???
The way eliminate disco effect is by clustering the different colors very close together.
But I look at the light, and I see different colors spread out.
The sheer number of leds will reduce disco of course, but that angular distance is still there.

It is pretty obviously still going to have some disco effect for people very sensitive to that (like me), similar to a Radion with diffuser, but this is fine with most people.

Actually there is no disco effect. Reason being that the light is blended BEFORE it hits the diffuser plate and exits. The light is not simply an panel with widely dispersed leds and a diffuser plate slapped on it. Lot more going on underneath the diffuser plate.

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 12.06.16 PM.png

In the video we show what the differences are between our product and others, its not trashing to point out what and why our product is different. Would you have known the differences if they were not illustrated and pointed out to you? A product has to differentiate itself from others and offer something that other products do not. If not, why bother to make it if it is the same as everyone else?
It just looked petty to me. You could have shown light cones and shadows the way other LEDs work and how your light is different from them. I'm not saying make it the same as everyone else, but there were images of Ecotech, AI & Kessil lights that were VERY obvious what they were representing such that I'm sure every reefer instantly knew those brands, and the video basically saying "these are no good". I'm just saying it could have accomplished the same thing without putting the brand recognizable imagery in there, as I am in no way a fan of that kind of advertising.

But you won't believe me anyway, I work for Neptune.
@sfsuphysics you don't have to believe anything I say since I do work for Neptune but I'll tag Richard Ross @Thales who is running Skys. Unless you feel that he is bought by us too.

In addition, Dana Riddle is doing independent tests on the Sky and will publish his findings when he is done with it. I would imagine you would trust Dana's take? Or is he also a stooge?

Yeah you really took what I said in a way wrong direction, and seem really hung up on this fact too. I just want to see independent people come to their own conclusions over products, hence the vlogger comment, because largely you're absolutely correct I'm not taking someone who works for the company selling the product as the sole authority if something is good, that doesn't mean I think what you say is false but I do want some potentially non-biased sources.

And yeah I would largely listen to what Rich says, and yeah totally would read what Dana writes up too, and I won't resort to name calling Geezus.

I am very sensitive to it also. Drives me nuts.
People with very "blue" tanks don't have that problem (since there are few other colors), but those of us with more whites do.

I see what they are doing now. Basically a two-fold way to reduce disco.
1) Use reflectors/diffusers to spread out point LED, right near the source.
2) Large number of LEDs, to reduce localized min/max in general.
While on paper, using ray tracing, disco effect probably technically still exists, it very well might not be visible at all.

It just looked petty to me. You could have shown light cones and shadows the way other LEDs work and how your light is different from them. I'm not saying make it the same as everyone else, but there were images of Ecotech, AI & Kessil lights that were VERY obvious what they were representing such that I'm sure every reefer instantly knew those brands, and the video basically saying "these are no good". I'm just saying it could have accomplished the same thing without putting the brand recognizable imagery in there, as I am in no way a fan of that kind of advertising.

Yeah you really took what I said in a way wrong direction, and seem really hung up on this fact too. I just want to see independent people come to their own conclusions over products, hence the vlogger comment, because largely you're absolutely correct I'm not taking someone who works for the company selling the product as the sole authority if something is good, that doesn't mean I think what you say is false but I do want some potentially non-biased sources.

And yeah I would largely listen to what Rich says, and yeah totally would read what Dana writes up too, and I won't resort to name calling Geezus.
The most effective way to show difference is to do a comparison. An A/B. If I only showed a view of the SKY panel and not compare it to the Radion G5 panel, how would you have a visual comparison on the scale of difference in light origination surface area? The video doesn't say "these are no good" it says this is how we are different. This is why the light is the way it is and this is why we feel is better. And of course we feel our light is better. Why would we create a light if its only as good or worse than the competition?

"So when can we expect every Youtube vlogger to get their hands on a "media version" of these and tell us how good they are?"
This implies we send youtube reviewers special versions or give them free versions so that they tell everyone how good the SKYs are. If that is not what you meant, maybe you should rephrase that so it cannot be interpreted that way.

Yes, I am hung up on it. I resent the implication that we buy reviews or pay off people in any shape or fashion. Other companies may do that, we don't.

@Vhuang168 does this mean that the kessil lights integration with apex is dead since Neptune makes there own lights now ?
Why would you think that!?!

We are never about sole exclusivity. We WANT other companies to be able to integrate with Apex. Kessil will be controllable through Apex shortly. Sicce is almost done as well. There are other companies that are working towards integration with Apex as well. We will release more information as they are closer to testing.

Back