Cali Kid Corals

New reef guy needs some advice

Hi Bay Area Reefers!

I just joined this group and am glad to have the opportunity to learn from you all.

I am in the early phases of starting a reef tank that I plan to stock with plenty of corals, peaceful fish and various invertebrates. So far, my set up is as follows (afterwards, I have questions):

First of all, it's EMPTY :)
THE TANK: 75g acrylic tank from TruVu with custom dimensions (36W x 24D x 20H); back painted black with a centered overflow with integrated return (also painted black).
FILTRATION: TruVu 180 Platinum Series Refugium w/ Skimmer Chamber
SKIMMER: EShopps PSK-100 in-Sump
LIGHTING: Aqua Illuminations LED System (ordered one blue module; will assess if another is needed)
WATER: RO/DI from my 5 Stage Plus filter system from Bulk Reef Supply (boosted with Aquated 8800)
WATER MOVEMENT: Return Pump = Rio PLUS 1700 (@1 ft = 620 gph); Also - two powerheads from Korelia Evolution (1 750gph, 1 550gph - I bought separately and accidentally mis-matched UGH!)

So this is a flavor for the task at hand. The tank arrived yesterday and I have been reading and watching YouTube videos and reading and visiting stores and talking to people to LEARN. I have some random questions. Any responses to one or all of them are appreciated:

1) The aquarium - I didn't realize that the top was not removable from these TruVu acrylic tanks. Has anyone come up with ideas for managing - say - the cords for the powerheads/heater in the absence of access holes? At this point, I don't think I'll drill if that turns out to be my only option. I have to say the tank looks SHARP - love it. But I am a tad disappointed with various aspects of the design and unfortunately, I didn't know the questions to ask.

2) The aquarium - has a built in overflow centered to the back with integrated return system. I know what my overflow box is and how it works. But what is the smaller sectioned off space to the right of the overflow portion of the box for. It seems as if it would be empty. Is this some sort of overflow chamber??? It seems to have no connection to the tank water.

3) The Sump/Refugium - has a filter sock at the entry chamber (is this the chamber where I put my skimmer - the first chamber???). The middle chamber is for my refugium. The end chamber is for my pump. I think my skimmer will only fit in that first chamber in terms of both footprint and water depth to cover the skimmer pump motor. Is this the design that was planned? Is it an okay design? The only instructions included were for the Integrated Return System plumbing that was included.

4) The Sump/Refugium - is there any benefit to using some bio-balls somewhere in here? If the middle chamber is refugium and I need my first chamber full of water (to cover skimmer motor) and the last chamber is for the pump, I am guessing that bio-balls are not in the design plan. Or are they?

5) I ordered some EcoTech Marine glue. When gluing my live rock to form my reef, is it okay to have the live rock out of water for a while to do the gluing and sculpting or does it need to stay always submerged.

6) I have some rock and sand that was once live but is now dry and presumably dead. I probably have 35 lb of (formerly) live rock and 50 lb of (formerly) live sand. This is from a scrapped first attempt (long story). Can I include these items in with my NEW really live rock/sand that I plan to buy (planning to buy about 35lbs of live rock and plan on a full volume of 80lbs of sand (so maybe 30lbs of live to add to my now dead sand). Do I need to scrap these now dead portions and get all new again?

I think that I'll leave off with questions there...that is enough to mull over for now. Thanks to anyone who takes a moment to dole out some advice to this newbie.

Best Regards All Around,
Dennis

I am adding some photos to demonstrate some things related to my questions:

1) You will see the tank including the top with openings

2) You will see the overflow chamber with the interesting chamber to the right

3) You will see the refugium/sump with my skimmer and pump as I believe they are supposed to be situated

Hopefully these images help make my questions more clear.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0001_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0003_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0005_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0006_0.jpg

1. Looks like you have a dry box for some chord management, you are going to have to drill the top in order to obscure the chords where they enter the tank.

2. That's you dry box.

3. Platinum series have a spot for a skimmer, not a fuge, that is what the center area is for.

4. no need for bioballs in your case.

5. It's fine to have the live rock outside the tank for a little while, just don;'t let the coraline dry out completely.

6. As long as there's not a ton of nutrients bound up in the rock/sand you should be fine.

Thanks, Everyone, for the welcome, the compliments on my tank shape, answers to questions and the invitation!

Sat I have plans. Otherwise, I would so be at BAYMAC! I will definitely try to catch a future event.

Thanks especially to Tuberider (Fabio) for the responses to my questions - EXTREMELY helpful. However, with regard to the sump/fuge... The link to what I purchased is attached. It claims to be a fuge with a skimmer chamber. According to my purchase order: "180 Platinum Series Refugium Filter w/ Skimmer Chamber."

Is something amiss? Perhaps I should check in with TruVu tomorrow.

G'night, All.

Dennis

Back