Cali Kid Corals

nudibranch's 25 gallon Red Sea

This tank is a year old, including the 6 months I waited for the live rock to be cleansed of any unwanted presences(I am happy I waited those 6 months, because I have have never seen any bristle worms or aiptasia). The tank's lighting set up is 4 compact fluorescents, 2 are regular and 2 are Blue Light.
My corals are...
Scolymia Venitius(I believe that is how you spell it)
Bubble Coral with a red sponge attached
Purple Mushrooms
GSP(It is changing from green to white, but the polyps are extended and it seems healthy, is it okay?)
Ring of Ice and Orangutan nipple Zoas
Frogspawn(only one head)
Full grown Tan Toadstool and two very young ones
Blastamusa Wellsi
Gold Finger Leather
Orange Fungia
One Ricordea and one Ricordea Yuma

My Invertebrates
A huge Coral Banded Shrimp
Two Ememrald Crabs, one is red
~3 nerites, ~2 trochus, ~3 Astrea, ~2 juvenile nerites, and 1 nassarius snail
~12 Hermit Crabs
A tube worm
and a fighter conch

My Fish
Picasso Clown
Royal Gramma
Yellow Spotted Watch Man Goby
I also have some Halimeda algae
I will post some picture of my tank soon.

Thats a nice stocking list. Can you tell us more about your filter system, dosing, water changes, anything else you do to maintain the system? Is this a red sea max aquarium? Can't wait to see pictures. Hows the halimeda doing?

r0ck0 said:
Thats a nice stocking list. Can you tell us more about your filter system, dosing, water changes, anything else you do to maintain the system? Is this a red sea max aquarium? Can't wait to see pictures. Hows the halimeda doing?
I forgot to say that I have a limpet(it is mobile). I do water changes once a week. In my filtration system I have a filter sponge for getting rid of the scum it filters, after that it goes through carbon(it takes out any poison and other stuff), after that it goes through a skimmer and out through my pumps. I dose calcium and alkalinity every month, or more if something happens. I am attaching some of the Halimeda to a small rock so I can put it in my filtration system as a natural form of filtration.

nudibranch said:
r0ck0 said:
I forgot to say that I have a limpet(it is mobile). I do water changes once a week. In my filtration system I have a filter sponge for getting rid of the scum it filters, after that it goes through carbon(it takes out any poison and other stuff), after that it goes through a skimmer and out through my pumps. I dose calcium and alkalinity every month, or more if something happens. I am attaching some of the Halimeda to a small rock so I can put it in my filtration system as a natural form of filtration.

Halimeda sp. macro algae is not that great of a "natural form of filtration" but it's great for sucking up you calcium ;)

My Hermit Crabs killed a lot of my snails, they killed a nerite(and stole its shell), they killed a trochus(they dd not steal its shell, my nassarius got attacked,too, and my fighter conch died while I was on vacation(I do not know why it died, though it definitely did not starvation). The good news is I spotted a baby nerite on the glass so there probably a bunch in my rock work.

Two things, what I thought was a limpet was not and is actually a Scutus antipodes Here is a photo and article.
http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=scutus
What I thought were baby nerites (except for the ones I just posted about) actually are Collinista.

nudibranch said:
I dose calcium and alkalinity every month, or more if something happens. .

you know with weekly water changes, dosing once a month will have basicly no effect, you would be better off to devide what your dosing monthly to daily, but I am willing to bet your not getting the results you desire dosing 1 time between every 4-5 water changes

I got a bunch of frags at the swap, here they are
Coral
*Neon Green Nepthea
*Purple Cyclo
*Blue with Orange Center Zoanthids
*Kyle's Blue Orgasms
*Reddish Chalice
*Blue/Green/Gold Favia
*Kenya Tree
*Caribbean Corallimorph(I found it on the Kenya Tree)
*Sponge
*Black with White Tip Sponge
*Frilly Mushroom
*Ponape Birdsnest(I was told that I should try it)
Invertebrates

Strombus Snails(I think they might be red footed conchs)
Also one of my day time compact florescent stopped working, so I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement. Thank you.

Nice scores. Just remember now that you have some stony corals, dosing and keeping up your CA, KH and MG will be even more important.

Make sure to put that birdsnest up near the very top or it may not get enough light under your PC's. PC's and SPS don't tend to work that well together but some will be ok if they are at the top. Growth might be very slow and they may turn a litlle brown.

nudibranch said:
My Hermit Crabs killed a lot of my snails, they killed a nerite(and stole its shell), they killed a trochus(they dd not steal its shell, my nassarius got attacked,too, and my fighter conch died while I was on vacation(I do not know why it died, though it definitely did not starvation). The good news is I spotted a baby nerite on the glass so there probably a bunch in my rock work.
I believe that my hermits have been somewhat falsely accused, because after reading under Post your hitchhikers here I decided that my snails have been killed by an olive shell that I found but escaped my grasp. Also I have juvenile Halimeda growing.

Back