Jestersix

nudibranch's 25 gallon Red Sea

nudibranch said:
nudibranch said:
My Hermit Crabs killed a lot of my snails, they killed a nerite(and stole its shell), they killed a trochus(they dd not steal its shell, my nassarius got attacked,too, and my fighter conch died while I was on vacation(I do not know why it died, though it definitely did not starvation). The good news is I spotted a baby nerite on the glass so there probably a bunch in my rock work.
I believe that my hermits have been somewhat falsely accused, because after reading under Post your hitchhikers here I decided that my snails have been killed by an olive shell that I found but escaped my grasp. Also I have juvenile Halimeda growing.

Ah.. a case of post hoc ergo hoc

I got a sharknose goby on wednesday at Aquatic Collection(I like that store). I heard that they spawned in captivity, so I was wondering if there is any easy way to find its gender.

nudibranch said:
I got a sharknose goby on wednesday at Aquatic Collection(I like that store). I heard that they spawned in captivity, so I was wondering if there is any easy way to find its gender.

Did you lift it's tail???? :bigsmile:

Yesterday my clown died (it was attacked by an emerald crab) and I got a juvenile hippo tang, I asked how long it could stay in my tank and the employee who was helping me estimated 3 years.
Also I have a huge problem. I finally caught one of the olive shells when it was eating, but just today I found a juvenile olive shell so it turns out the are breeding in my tank. How do you get rid of them, and also if an one wants a snail eating olive shell I have one (really they are quite pretty, and the state gastropod of South Carolina).

I now know what happens to the victim of a olive shell (warning: some readers will find this creepy!).

It happened to my trochus snail (I am guesses the venom was transmitted with a harpoon from a previous encounter). It was eating on my glass when randomly it started seizing up, it took a few hours(I think) before it fell of the wall with the top of its shell in the sand. This allowed the olive shell to come out oof hiding and devour its prey.

I would say no matter what they tell you at the store you went, a hippo tang should not be in a 25 gallon redsea tank, and it certinally shouldn't be there for 3 years unless you are attempting to drawf it's growth, stress it out and trying to kill it.....

Well I haven't been on it a long time but during that time many things have happened in my tank. One I caught a voracious ruby emerald crab that decided Duncan heads and Plate Coral tentacles are tasty. Luckily the Duncan is okay and so is the Orange plate. I also think I captured the only male or female of the olive shells because I am having no problems with them. Last and definitely not least is that I found two clear casings with about thirteen eggs in each, at the beginning, one of the cases just opened today and something came out. I think the eggs were from some trochus snails but I have never seen a young snail so I was wondering what hey look like. The one that crawled looks like a little grain of orange sand with thin tentacles around it.

It was a 65 gallon Instant Ocean tank with lights(LED), sump, pumps, filtration equipment, additives for helping to start up my tank(bacteria etc.) and some free food, and trust me I will not make the same mistake with my live rock I made before. I am probably going to set it up this weekend. Though I will not be putting anything in there until my 25 gallon is stable for a good amount of time.

Back