Jestersix

Nuisance Polyps

[quote author=A_Lee link=topic=5872.msg74136#msg74136 date=1231827895]
correct-a-mundo :) That is how I went about making it for myself anyways :)
[/quote]

Great, thanks.

I always assumed that is how you make it, but wanted to be doubly sure just in case there was some secret ingredient. ;)

Bonnie,

I've done this multiple times for Anthellia, xenia and super invasive bottom polyps.

mix up a med/thick kalk paste, turn of all water movement. I use a syringe with out needels and just drop a whole bunch of kalk paste right on the mouths of the polyps, leave for 10 mins ( no water movement ) you might have to do this in consecutive days. THe polyps will just melt off and desintigrate.

If you are moving them to a new tank then "smother" them out or cut down their flow for a while. If you put the colony face down in the sand it will die slowly. Or, if you stop the flow over them they will build up algae and die. Just a thought if you weren't in a rush.

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=5872.msg75195#msg75195 date=1232178976]
If you are moving them to a new tank then "smother" them out or cut down their flow for a while. If you put the colony face down in the sand it will die slowly. Or, if you stop the flow over them they will build up algae and die. Just a thought if you weren't in a rush.
[/quote]

Boy Matt,

If I didn't know any better, I'd think I was watching a horror show. ;D ;D Heehee ;D ;D

As soon as I can find where I stashed my kalk, I'm going to try the paste. My big problem though, are the polyps that are growing next to my SPS/zoas...not sure how to get rid of those without hurting the coral. These things are unbelieveable, I find them everywhere.

Finally tried the kalk paste, it works! Problem is that these things are literally covering every inch of my rockwork. Ugh. I've been doing a little at a time for 4 days now. Starting to make a dent, but it's a daunting task. I think this is going to be a maintenance thing, as I'll never get every one of them, and they reproduce like crazy. :p

Bonnie it does take time as adding too much Kalk will mess with the pararameters. Just keep on doing this every other day or so to give your system time to recover? Knock a 1/2 dozen polyps of so every couple of days , next thing you know your done.
Good luck.
Charles-

Oh, I've probably been killing off a couple hundred each time, lol. Skimmer has been pulling out extra gunk in the meantime. My rocks literally look like carpet, these things are all over them. They're on the sand, PVC outlets, walls, everywhere. I think I'll give it a rest for a couple days and then do a little more.

Be carefull not to get any of that buttom polyp goo on you. I got me REALLY REALLY ILL , accidently got on my lips SQUIRTED, felt like I had a SERIOUS flu for hours and felt like body got beat up by baseball bats.

I got some on my eye the 2nd time, got sent to the hospital and had to get some eye drops for a couple weeks. Felt like someone pour DRAIN-O right in your eye. Burnt and blurryied eyed for a couple weeks.

Yikes! I know, when I frag zoas, I always wear gloves and safety glasses. Those Mean Greens especially like to squirt, I don't want to take any chances.

Back