Other Hobbies

Discussion in 'The Eutrophic Zone' started by Flagg37, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Do you play with others that are sticklers about you only being able to play a piece that is painted?

2. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Bass fishing (local to Lake Merced) some fly fishing but very few days a year. I'd say restoring old bamboo rods but have not started at least one yet...

3. Jamesskii408

Jamesskii408 Guest

Lol nope all we do is play for fun. Nothing crazy

4. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I figured there'd be several photographers around. I'm in that boat as well. I went the mirrorless route with an NEX-7. I love the image quality and it's small size.

I also would classify woodworking as a hobby of mine even though I do it for work. I still do my own projects that I enjoy.

Lastly I'm a second amendment supporter and enjoy going to the range. I was in the Marine Corps for 8 years and got out as a platoon sergeant for a weapons platoon. I always qualified as an expert for rifle qualification.

Gablami likes this.
  5. Tmjvb

Tmjvb Supporting Member

Guns, fishing, snowboarding, and reptiles.

6. Apon

Apon Volunteer

hmm....archery ( I teach at YMCA summer camp), riflery ( both rifle and pistol), softball, backpacking...but more car camping these days. used to collect comics...some collecting of toys...star wars, transformers, etc..... too many I guess

7. gabloo

gabloo Supporting Member

golf, soccer, used to play a lot of PC games, Fresh water and reef.

yellojello and Gablami like this.
  8. Julius Chen

Julius Chen Supporting Member

What is "a weapons platoon"? Is there a platoon without no weapon? Just curious...

9. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I would imagine a platoon in charge of heavier weapons and or for certain missions?.

10. OnTheReef

OnTheReef OnTheReef (Eric)

Skiing and snowboarding, surfing, bodybuilding, cycling, ice hockey, west coast swing dancing. That's a lot obviously, I tend to cycle through these in my level of participation. MMORPGs are kind of my TV, I played Everquest I and II, but the time investment in the end game is just too high for me (see above + girlfriend + working at a startup) so I dabbled with Aeon, Rift and Neverwinter, but the player surge came and went too quickly. I am currently working my way through Blade & Soul, really like it, the effort for advancement is just right to be fun for the amount of time I have.

11. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Brings back some old fun memories from the 80's!
    I started playing a bit again with my kid a few years back, but he lost interest due to video games.
    Still have a couple of partially painted armies around. Dwarves and Undead.
    Never played 40K. That seems like the thing now.

12. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

My other hobbies: Sailing, woodworking.

13. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Work, then reefing take up my time. I enjoy sailing (though boat and husband's knees in need of work at the moment), camping, flyfishing newbie (more interested in checking out rivers up close than actually catching fish), used to love quilting and hiking.

14. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

I forgot playing with my dog! Does that count?

Gablami likes this.
  15. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I think fishing is very different from catching, I enjoy fishing; maybe that's why I'm the only one in my family that likes fishing.

MolaMola likes this.
  16. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

@xcaret is correct. In a Marine Corps battalion there are 3 line platoons (essentially everyone caries an M-16) and one weapons platoon. A weapons platoon is made up of 3 sections. A machine gun section (M-240G), a mortar section (60mm), and an anti tank assault section (rockets and explosives).

17. Julius Chen

Julius Chen Supporting Member

Off topic but...

Does machine gun section and anti tank assault section suffer higher casualties than line section?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I can so relate to that.
    I still sail, but no more windsurfing and skiing after the knee surgery.
    Well, I blame it on that. But the 50+ years might have a bit of affect also.

19. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I'm not entirely sure. The sections usually get parted out to help support the line platoons on their various missions. So my guess it would be fairly similar.

20. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

No world of Warcraft?