Jestersix

REAL Palau Green Nepthea and an unknown for ID

So I've been looking for some real green nepthea to add to the softie collection as the stuff that's been fragged and passed around or for sale are actually a sinularias. This week I finally found it. A very nice piece too. The colour is a nice deep blue/green. The pics don't do it justice. I doubt it's from Palau but it's a really nice piece.

The other softie I found at the same place. Bright white, not too many polyps but gets HUGE. Hoping someone here can ID it. It doesn't seem to respond to RN OF or RF but it might still be settling in. Initially, It only inflated while the lights were on but now stays inflated 'round the clock. The texture is smooth but not slimy and the body is very pliable with none of the internal sclerites (sp?) evident. Anyone with a guess?

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/nep1.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/nep2.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/unkn1.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/unkn2.JPG

The first two pics may be a capnella / kenya tree, but nice find either way. :)

The second two pics are of a very starved / bleached ... probably sinularia. Looks like it's doing alright in your tank and should eventually regrow polyps and color. Most likely it'll be typical green or beige leather like so:

sinularia-flexibilis.jpg

treylane said:
The first two pics may be a capnella / kenya tree, but nice find either way. :)

The second two pics are of a very starved / bleached ... probably sinularia. Looks like it's doing alright in your tank and should eventually regrow polyps and color. Most likely it'll be typical green or beige leather like so:

sinularia-flexibilis.jpg

Isn't capnella a type of nepthea (or vice versa?) or am I totally confused (known to happen when I go from memory). I was so sure I had one I didn't look it up. I'll look tonight.

Yeah I was wondering if it was a type sinularia...very few polyps but it is feeding now when I douse with RN OF. When it's completly contracted the tips have a nice green tinge to them...maybe that will be the final colour when/if it come back which is not a bad trade off. It's a shame as the white really pops in the DT. I've read about completely white photosythetic softies. There's one The Reef Aquarium 2 that looks pretty cool but it doesn't look like this one.

It seems happy so we'll see.

-Gregory

Ok, quit setting yourself up for disappointment. ;) 100% positive-for-sure it's just a sad bleached coral, but thanks to you it looks like it's on the road to recovery! You should be proud of yourself when it colors back up!

Bummer......but not a disappointment. It's a really nice addition to the DT.

Now the question is how do I get myself one of those white corals? Hmmmmmm.....

-Gregory

Kensington Reefer said:
so what species or family at least is the green "nep" that you got from me?
also in your travels, I've heard of a red polyp softie....
Kensington Reefer said:
so what species or family at least is the green "nep" that you got from me?
also in your travels, I've heard of a red polyp softie....

The one I got from you is identical to another softie I procured that was tagged as a green sinularia. Knowing that there can be ID confusion with these corals I did a lot of research and pic comparision (with PE/ without PE, surface close ups. etc...). Solely based on personal observation and research, I beleive they are sinularias. I do realize that a conclusive ID would either require an expert or microscopic examination. So yes I could be completely wrong. That said I've seen many types of green softies labeled neptheas on the net and so I've kinda started collecting them. The one you gave me is doing great and has a new "trunk" sprouting at the bottom. If you want I'll send ya another pic.

Red polyps? Are you yanking my chain? That would be very cool! Do you have a name (scientific or otherwise) for it?

-Gregory

anathema said:
Hey I already gave you a "red" polyp softy. :D

Which is doing quite well thank you very much. It's grown off the frag plug/rock and is encrusting the surrounding gravel. Still don’t know what the hell it is……

-Gregory

Br(yi)an (SeminoleCPA) was complaining about it at BayMac, I guess it's growing pretty fast for him as well. That's better than it dying!

I susspect it could take on, and possibly win against, GSP. That's why it's on the gravel. Easy control if it turns into The Blob.

-Gregory

Smiley said:
Not sure if this is what your looking for, but I have a frag available if you want it.
IMG_8770.JPG

That's a beautiful lime/yellow green. Is it really that colour? I'd love a frag of that! That's different enough (at least in my experience) that it should be a DBTC entry to keep it going. I'm not sure what it is from the pic...but the colour alone makes it a keeper!

If you're not going to the June meeting PM me and we'll arrange something.

Thanks!!

-Gregory

yes, it is really that color. It was given to me as a green nepthea. Im not able to pm on these boards yet but you can find me at NorCalReefClub. Would gladly go DBTC unless you want to trade something for it.

Back