got ethical husbandry?

Reef Hobbyist 40B

After a year of running the BH-100 over my sump, I finally made the switch to an actual cone skimmer. Picked up a Bubble Magnus NAC 3.5 Skimmer (rated 25-80gals) from @boun11
tumblr_inline_nmu1k1d2fk1sc62k6_1280.jpg

Now that I had to remove the old skimmer, I decided to make some big changes to how I make best use of my sump. So I completely removed the sump, cleaned everything and freshly put things back.
tumblr_inline_nmu21l8z1R1sc62k6_1280.jpg

Skimmer had to go to the center chamber cos of the water level (9″). I made the sock chamber also the fuge hoping to keep pruning if I ever get to that state of crazy growth.

Middle chamber is a combination of Skimmer, ATS, Heater, some LR & Mangroves. I have the ATS connected to my drain and I don’t want the water trickling down to bring lot of detritus into the sump, so I have a container with a filter floss there. Also a 180gph pump from here feeds the reactor (GFO+Carbon).

Last chamber has the reactor outflow, Purigen & the return pump.

I have a 23w 6500k CFL for the Chaeto, 54w Hydroponics LED + 23W 2700K CFL on the ATS.

Its a new mesh I just added yesterday so obviously no algae ;) (needed a new mesh cos I re-adjusted height).
tumblr_inline_nmu21ur5NM1sc62k6_1280.jpg

150w Eheim Jager Heater (got this about a month ago).
tumblr_inline_nmu23g7fFA1sc62k6_1280.jpg

Chaeto from @wpeterson I picked up last weekend.
tumblr_inline_nmu24gSZP21sc62k6_1280.jpg

2 Mangroves (one was from @Enderturtle).
tumblr_inline_nmu25hONw61sc62k6_1280.jpg

Skimmer getting up to speed. Its just been 2 days now and I’m fine tuning to get it to skim a bit dry.
tumblr_inline_nmu26pH4sb1sc62k6_1280.jpg

Thats all for now. Next big step is getting the right LED over my DT :)

I don't see why you have ats, gfo, purigen, and chaeto? I don't think chaeto will grow w all that other stuff...
Mike, I've seen couple of systems doing all of it other than ATS. Since I had ATS, never really got into chaeto, this is my first try running all of it. (fingers crossed).

Ok how the heck were you able to remove the sump?

I have all this crap all over and wired up. It would be easier to redirect the flow of the amazon than to take my sump out.

Ok how the heck were you able to remove the sump?
I have all this crap all over and wired up. It would be easier to redirect the flow of the amazon than to take my sump out.
It literally took me an entire day (11am to 10pm) to get this done. Unplugging, siphoning, lugging, vinegar baths, etc. Also had complications with a slow leak on one of my overflow drain pipes. Wuh!! Next day I couldn't even walk...

It literally took me an entire day (11am to 10pm) to get this done. Unplugging, siphoning, lugging, vinegar baths, etc. Also had complications with a slow leak on one of my overflow drain pipes. Wuh!! Next day I couldn't even walk...

Ugh, I know that feeling. It looks like it came out well.

Are you using the same light for the ATS and growing chaeto or planning to supplement?

Are you using the same light for the ATS and growing chaeto or planning to supplement?
No, if you see the full sump shot above, I have a 6500k 23w CFL on the chaeto. The ATS has a red hydroponics grow light on one side and the 3k 23w CFL on the other (removed the CFL for the photo).

Next day I couldn't even walk...

Although I don't want to make fun of your pain, it's good to hear even the young among us find this tough!

Every time I see some east coast dude with a sump in the BASEMENT, I get jealous!! I lust after a basement!! Being able to work on sump standing up would be heaven.

Very sexy pink light you've got there for the ATS!

Today I found this and was so disappointed that my hermit died, after a while I noticed both my hermits actively walking around. Looks like it molted :) I never knew hermits molt! So he’s happy n healthy then…

One week running my Bubble Magnus NAC 3.5. First 2 days it ran pretty wet but slowly tweaked outflow and some air intake and its doing a pretty good job now :) Happy that I moved to cone from HOB.

For anyone interested the water level is 9", its dialed to 3.5 and I've reduced the air intake by adding a thinner tube (more finer foaming)

Yea, crab molts never fail to scare me.... Fortunately with my pom pom crabs I can tell because the anemones are missing. It's always a relief xD

Does fine foaming in a skimmer = better nutrient export?
I will do this too if it does.
Not really sure, most of them try to get a thick paste... my assumption is when you skim dry, you can skim more (cos if its wet, you gotta keep emptying the cup) so more nutrients exported.

With the new skimmer, stable water level is key and today when I did my PWC, i forgot to turn off the skimmer!! collection cup overflow in seconds and a whole week of crap went back into the sump :( :(

Back