Cali Kid Corals

Reef Hobbyist 40B

Update on my ATS. It has been another two weeks running the ATS & below is what was collected. This time I got a mix of Green & Red Algae…

Looks like the light intensity in the center is higher that what algae needs ;)

tumblr_inline_nb9g9tkJxu1sc62k6.png

Also picked up 175gal Red Sea Coral Pro salt yesterday…

tumblr_inline_nb9gbvwTVw1sc62k6.png

After looking around for long, I finally decided to buy some expensive pieces. The Warpaint Scolymia and Trachyphyllia. With just a week in my tank, they’ve puffed up very well…

tumblr_inline_nbb55oUitE1sc62k6.png

tumblr_inline_nbb55wY1og1sc62k6.png

tumblr_inline_nb3u2xGfTP1sc62k6.png

tumblr_inline_nbb5570JSU1sc62k6.png

tumblr_inline_nawgr42WuM1sc62k6.png

The scoly was in a small piece of rock that had a lot of very tiny clove-like heads. I didn't want to risk anything (cos they could be baby aptasia) so I superglued the entire rock base ;)

very nice corals! I would move the lights back a little from the ATS. They need to be about 4-6 inches from the screen for the bulbs you have.

tumblr_nbd5s1jWwd1tbt0zro1_1280.jpg

Latest full sump shot. Here’s whats in the pic (counter clock-wise starting up):
  • Herbie style drain (one feeding sock & other to ATS)
  • Reef Octopus BH-100 HOB Skimmer
  • 100w Heater
  • Filter Sock
  • Chemipure Elite bag
  • Refugium (LR + Cheato)
  • Algae Turf Scrubber (2 x 2700k CFLs 5” from the mesh)
  • 120gph Powerhead to keep refugium circulated
  • 2 x Purigen bags
  • Return pump
  • JBJ ATO

tumblr_nbd5s1jWwd1tbt0zro1_1280.jpg

Latest full sump shot. Here’s whats in the pic (counter clock-wise starting up):
  • Herbie style drain (one feeding sock & other to ATS)
  • Reef Octopus BH-100 HOB Skimmer
  • 100w Heater
  • Filter Sock
  • Chemipure Elite bag
  • Refugium (LR + Cheato)
  • Algae Turf Scrubber (2 x 2700k CFLs 5” from the mesh)
  • 120gph Powerhead to keep refugium circulated
  • 2 x Purigen bags
  • Return pump
  • JBJ ATO

That's a really nice clean sump setup you've got. I must have missed it before -- you're running skimmer free?
I wish I had the room for an ATS; I've always wanted to try one.

Nav - did you end up changing your brand of salt and /or mixing two types?? Need to see a recent picture with all your new additions too!

Nav - did you end up changing your brand of salt and /or mixing two types?? Need to see a recent picture with all your new additions too!
No, still with Red Sea Coral Pro. I did tumble the salt bucket really well to get an even mix...

Pics coming soon :)

Wanted to log a crazy thing that happened yesterday while I was changing water... I was siphoning out water and just looked away for a second and noticed my diamond goby sucked into the siphon tube!!! I usually target feed this guy with a syringe and I guess he thought the tube was bringing him food...

Problem was that he was not sucked in straight but in a bent 'U' position and was so firmly stuck inside, tried everything to pull him out but finally I used a chopstick to straighten him and was able to bring him out. Pheww!!!

Not sure how to avoid this cos I need to siphon out dirt around rocks and the sand.

hey nav, it looks like you don't have a hose clamp on one of those hoses feeding the water to the algae screen. are you confident that it'll be ok? i only ask because i'm running my UV filter right now without a hose clamp on one hose barb, and it's on pretty tight. just wondering what's your thought process.

hey nav, it looks like you don't have a hose clamp on one of those hoses feeding the water to the algae screen. are you confident that it'll be ok? i only ask because i'm running my UV filter right now without a hose clamp on one hose barb, and it's on pretty tight. just wondering what's your thought process.
Alfred, I don't think mine needs a clamp cos it literally will take two people to remove it ;) Also water flow is like 200gph which I doubt could do any damage to that joint.

Your scrubber screen in that last pic looked really clean. Too clean.
Mine is still completely green after scraping hair algae off.
Also, check your flow. A little CFL like that would not normally burn the algae.
You need 35 GPH per inch of REAL flow, after screen is inserted, which is way different
than your pump spec.

Also: If you ever want to switch to LED for the scrubber, let me know. I have some spare parts.

Also, scrubber seems a bit over sized. Mine is about the same size, on a 240G tank

Your scrubber screen in that last pic looked really clean. Too clean.
Mine is still completely green after scraping hair algae off.
Also, check your flow. A little CFL like that would not normally burn the algae.
You need 35 GPH per inch of REAL flow, after screen is inserted, which is way different
than your pump spec.

Also: If you ever want to switch to LED for the scrubber, let me know. I have some spare parts.

Also, scrubber seems a bit over sized. Mine is about the same size, on a 240G tank

@rygh I think everything you say could be true. My scrubber is just a month old... and I never did any math on the surface area based on volume of tank, or even calculate distance & intensity of light between the source & scrubber :( It was just a test and I think it worked pretty well a beginner like me ;)

This is a pic from two weeks ago, I'll take a pic today evening when I get back home. For Nitrates 0 & Phosphates 0.05 don't you think its decent algae in two weeks?

tumblr_inline_nb9g9tkJxu1sc62k6.png

The picture I meant was the one you posted of the entire sump.
In that, the scrubber screen looks totally white and clean.

For the picture you just sent:
For the first two weeks of starting up, yes, that is pretty good growth.
(If it were two weeks of normal running, no)
It takes a couple months to really get solid at the base and start cranking.
Yep, seems like a successful quick experiment. Good Nitrate number. :)

Back