got ethical husbandry?

Reef Hobbyist 40B

@rygh, here's a photo from today. I scrub the screen every two weeks which is why there's not much on the screen.

How frequently do you guys clean your ATS?

scrub.jpg

I clean once a week, unless on vacation.
At about 2 weeks, the base of the algae starts to die a bit, releasing
a bit of crud, which adds detritus and yellows the water.

But screens vary a lot on growth rate. Yours is likely over sized, so can go a bit longer.

Reactions: Nav
Ricordea Garden
tumblr_nc64t4NY5c1tbt0zro4_500.jpg

Acan Garden (yesterday moved all acans from frag plugs on to this rock) & goby chilling out!
tumblr_nc64t4NY5c1tbt0zro2_r1_500.jpg

Nicely plating bright green monti
tumblr_nc64t4NY5c1tbt0zro5_500.jpg

hey nav, what is your overall opinion on an algae scrubber? i see the algae, but do you still experience it in other parts of your tank? do you feel it's necessary? what are your overall thoughts?

hey nav, what is your overall opinion on an algae scrubber? i see the algae, but do you still experience it in other parts of your tank? do you feel it's necessary? what are your overall thoughts?
Alfred, I think it's the most effective way to extract nutrients. My DT has no trace of GHA, just a little diatoms on rocks (that my Turbo survives on)

My cheato never took off for some reason (could be cos of the ATS). Only side effect as of now is I'm seeing Cyano in my sump cos of the heavy lighting on the ATS, in a way it's good cos cyano is only in my sump.

Any tips on getting rid of cyano? I already have a small powerhead in the sump for circulation...

You could try turning the lights off for 2-3 days for most of the cyano to disappear. It's typically a combination of nitrates, phosphates, and light.

Alfred, I think it's the most effective way to extract nutrients. My DT has no trace of GHA, just a little diatoms on rocks (that my Turbo survives on)

My cheato never took off for some reason (could be cos of the ATS). Only side effect as of now is I'm seeing Cyano in my sump cos of the heavy lighting on the ATS, in a way it's good cos cyano is only in my sump.

Any tips on getting rid of cyano? I already have a small powerhead in the sump for circulation...

In my battle with cyano, I can only suggest a few things:

- scrubbing and immediately sucking it out.
- feeding less

What hasn't worked for me:
- more flow
- lights-out (i never fully implemented this)

This being your sump, I'm not quite sure since the sump is where most of the extra 'food' gets displaced to. I assume you'll probably want to suck out as much detritus and cyano as soon as you find it.

Reactions: Nav
Cyano in the sump is a lot better than in the display.;)
I usually get it when I let ditritus accumulate in the sand in back, where there is less flow.
Hard to "kill." What works for me is siphoning it out, then eliminating cause.

Might mean you are not siphoning the sump all that well.

My cleaning from today. Remember that I have a 240G though.
Although what matters more is how much you feed.
screen.JPG

scrud.JPG

My cleaning from today. Remember that I have a 240G though.
Although what matters more is how much you feed
Dude! that's some crazy algae u got ;)

What lights u point at the ATS? And how much flow? You should post a video...

I just switched one side of my ATS light with a 23w 6500k CFL so there's a good mix of 2700k & 6500k on either side, also 6500k does better for Cheato I guess...

Been a while updating my tank log! Not much has changed. Clown healed, cyano in sump cleared.

FTS from today (yellow wrasse went to bed early)

tumblr_nd0f563lfz1tbt0zro1_1280.png

Back