Neptune Aquatics

Reef salt

Has anyone noticed weird stuff happening to their SPS with Fritz?
My salt journey: IO --> AquaVitro --> Red Sea Pro --> Fritz

A lot of the same corals have enjoyed all of these salts, and Fritz is the only one that seems to have shaken things up a bit. Parameters are relatively inline with what you'd expect... AquaVitro and Red Sea were ultra stable for years.

Edit: Weird stuff = general unhappiness, almost like alk burn without high alk?

There was a pretty long thread on here about a year ago about fritz salt. There were a number of us that switched for a while and then it was noticed that it would mix up to about 8.0 dkh and then drop down to about 6.0 dkh in a matter of hours. I think most people ended up going back to what they had previously been using. I heard that Fritz addressed this issue but I’ve not confirmed it personally.

New batch of fritz mixed up yesterday. It’s been heated and circulating for 24 hours. The alk was 9.5 yesterday after initial mix and is now 8.7

That’s a better number for my tank.

I will leave this batch circulating for a week and test Friday or Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I assume all salts will drop calcium and alk when heated and pumped based on how much pecip there is around pumps and heaters in the tank and mixing station.

Others have seen this too with Fritz but not other salts.

If it doesn’t maintain alk in a bucket with warmth and circulation why would people think it would last in their tank?

Ouch.

After sitting for a week heated and with a power head the Fritz blue salt alk is now 6.5!

Here's the past thread about Fritz.

http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/fritz-salt.20312/

Fritz was awful for me when I tried it over a year ago. Within 24 hours it would drop to an alkalinity in the mid 6s. No matter how I mixed it, variations on how I mixed in the dry salt, stored it, nothing I could do to kept it's alkalinity anywhere near the intial starting point. Reef Crystals did the same for me unless I kept my salt mixing container fairly clean.

I've made the switch to Red Sea Blue Bucket and so far I have experienced very little if any drop off in alkalinity no matter how I store it (heated, mixing, doing nothing). It mixes clean, quickly, and most important, pretty spot on to the levels I keep my reefs at.

Reactions: JVU
Yeah I wish I saw this before buying it [emoji29]

I was happy with Red Sea minus the low magnesium. It’s what I get for trying something new.

Fritz was awful for me when I tried it over a year ago. Within 24 hours it would drop to an alkalinity in the mid 6s. No matter how I mixed it, variations on how I mixed in the dry salt, stored it, nothing I could do to kept it's alkalinity anywhere near the intial starting point. Reef Crystals did the same for me unless I kept my salt mixing container fairly clean.

I've made the switch to Red Sea Blue Bucket and so far I have experienced very little if any drop off in alkalinity no matter how I store it (heated, mixing, doing nothing). It mixes clean, quickly, and most important, pretty spot on to the levels I keep my reefs at.
I liked it too, but I can’t find a real good cheap deal on a pallet.

Yeah I wish I saw this before buying it [emoji29]

I was happy with Red Sea minus the low magnesium. It’s what I get for trying something new.

Eh...you never learn if you don't try something new. Trust me, I've tried plenty of new reefing things that didn't turn out to be too smart. ;) Chaulk it up as a reefing lesson that didn't kill anything.

It’s interesting to note that in the brs video, the Red Sea mixes had a fair amount of drop in alk and ca compared to the other 6 mixes. Your experience seems to be the opposite of what they found. They didn’t test fritz but they did test both rc and rs blue.

It’s interesting to note that in the brs video, the Red Sea mixes had a fair amount of drop in alk and ca compared to the other 6 mixes. Your experience seems to be the opposite of what they found. They didn’t test fritz but they did test both rc and rs blue.

I thought it was only the black bucket that had significant losses...

Back