Reefer 170 reborn

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Eugene, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Love FTS!

IMG_0611.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treylane, kinetic and ashburn2k like this.
  2. kinetic

kinetic Guest

I went with outcompeting dinos with the clean method. Bacteria built from NoPox will outcompete dinos. Once that was under control, I started feeding heavy (fish food, reef chili). As long as I can keep my bacteria population up my dinos won't come back. Easy as adjusting nopox dosage on my dosing pump. Just 2ml / day in my Reefer 170 keeps them away. I tried dropping it to 1.5ml and within three days, dinos popped up again. 2ml seems to be the sweet spot.

Nothing growing is nice for me. I can spot feed my SPS and dose Aminos (acropower, might be snake oil though), and they grow fine with that + light. My Anemones do fine under my light only with the occasional food bit that they catch.

I've heard from a few others that they went this route as well. The upside is I have almost no other nuisance algae at all, don't need to maintain a sump/fuge/algae reactor. Water changes aren't really needed for NO3/PO4 export, just for replenishing trace elements most likely (not testing for that) and maybe some other build up of other things I'm not testing for.

Eugene likes this.
  3. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

I pulled half of my sand out, added UV filter and dosed some dino-x. Looks like the dinos are not growing as fast as before and I've got some nutrients back - today's readings where NO3 - 5ppm, PO4 - 0.04. I'm not doing anything at all now besides dino-x - will see what will happens. I might left tank bare-bottom for a little while and see if it'll help. Hope to get some coraline growth back - it stopped once dinos appeared.

4. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Tired of writing documentation today and decided to make short macro session. Here are some macros:

DSCF4450.jpg DSCF4459.jpg DSCF4464.jpg DSCF4473.jpg DSCF4500.jpg DSCF4503.jpg DSCF4506.jpg DSCF4511.jpg DSCF4526.jpg DSCF4530.jpg

JVU likes this.
  5. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

And couple more: DSCF4531.jpg DSCF4533.jpg DSCF4534.jpg DSCF4538.jpg DSCF4544.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    JVU likes this.
  6. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

Nice photos! Care to share what equipment you used and settings for iso/f stop and other methods you used for above shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Used macro lens handheld on Fuji xt-10. Nothing special - high ISO (6400 I think) , custom WB, F 5/6 - 7. Really hard to make macro without tripod, also think I needed to put polarizer to cut reflection but don't have one in the lens size.

8. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Latest update of my battle with dino - after 2 weeks dosing dino-x, running uv sterilizer and removing sand I finally saw dino recessed - looks like it happened in one-two days after 8 dose of dino-x. Some corals stressed - leather didn’t opened for last 3 days, acans are not happy but I moved it around when removed sand. Shrimp looks stressed - that might be result of dino toxins released to the water. I thought she is gone already but this morning she looks alive hiding in the crevice. I’ve put some charcoal to the filter sock - hope it will remove toxins from the water.
    Last sample under microscope looked like mostly GHA with some random dino cells. Will monitor it closely - might do some large water change.

Cruz Mc5 and kinetic like this.
  9. Cruz Mc5

Cruz Mc5 Supporting Member

Nice! Hopefully they stay on the losing end of the battle.

10. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

He - now I have everything covered with nice hair algae and skimmer pump stopped. Looks like an "dirty method to me" - No3 jumped to 16-20ppm, PO4 - is good 0.03.

11. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Its been awhile since I posted progres - last couple months I’ve removed almost all sand and dinos almost gone. I still see some slight brown tint on the sand leftovers but overall tank looks happy. There were couple casualties of my dino battle - cali tort colony lost all tissue and my toadstool doesn’t open for almost three month. Here is latest crappy photo:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    glee and ofzakaria like this.
  12. ofzakaria

ofzakaria Supporting Member

13. Wlachnit

Wlachnit BOD

love your rockwork. Are you going to keep it barebottom?

14. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Thanks - it's a camera photos edited in google snapshot app. Not the best imho - the phone camera is not sharp for my taste.

15. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Not sure - it covers with coraline in days and looks too empty. Also I think sand reflects light and add more PAR to the tank.
    I need to either add more corals to the bottom to cover most or try sand again. But I afraid of dinos coming back since it was sand-only.
    Interesting that my ALK/CA dosing dropped from 20ml/day to 7-9 after I removed the sand.

16. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Another month without dino - what a pleasure! I still closely monitor nutrients and dose 0.01-0.02 ppm phosphates sometimes once it drops to zero. I don't see any dinos anymore - even on the sand leftovers behind the rocks. Still thinking how to fill empty space of the bare bottom - I've got couple chalice frags from frag swap but not sure about placement - I don't see any PE at night assume it's not very happy. And for sure another FTS:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    rygh, JVU and Rostato like this.
  17. Wlachnit

Wlachnit BOD

Well...The sand would have had some buffering capacity since it’s a bicarbonate based sand made up of pulverized coral. So not too surprising

18. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Can’t stop taking photos once I see nice angle:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    rygh and JVU like this.
  19. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Updated last picture - looks like I need good hosting site!

20. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Here are some latest tank pics - SPS are grows too fast in crumped space

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    JVU, Coral reefer and Raptor72 like this.