got ethical husbandry?

RO DI unit output seems very poor :-[

seminolecpa

Past President
I have a spectrapure RODI unit that is maybe 3 months old or so. Is there any reason the output would have significantly decreased? I have a 180GPD unit that is putting out at this point about an gallon per hour. Could it be clogged or is there something I should do to backflush it ? TDS in my area is very low (around 50-60).

You don't happen to have an inline pressure gauge or could hook one up?? Those filters can easily be clogged by a little work on the water lines in your neighborhood. The inline gauge + a gauge on your input can show you if there's a drop from your pre-filters you can easily tell by the difference in pressure.

sure, replace them :D

Honestly though, I don't know, I don't think it's as simple as switching the hoses and trying to flush it out backwards.

I took all of the filters out and banged them against the sink a bit but still the same result. I keep asking myself I both this thing why? I think i got maybe 200 gallons out of it before this happened.

Try giving spectrapure a call to ask them for suggestions....I know the cold can affect the flow, but it hasn't been cold lately. The filters would turn dark brown if they are clogged.

So I call spectrapure at work today looks like my carbon block filter is clogged (wonderful after note even 200 gallons of water). Now that I am home looks like they are gone for the day. Do i have to use one of their filters or could I pick something up locally like say at home depot to do the job?

as long as they are the same size it should work. I use the spectrapure filters on my kent unit with no issue.

Home depot sells a 1 micron which is the same size and my filter it is a 1 vs. a .5 should that be of for in a pinch until I can get one from somewhere else?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100076639

Yeah, I don't like that "Chlorine Guzzler" stuff spectrapure sells, then all of a sudden it gets clogged a short while later (you are by no means the first to have this happen), and it's because of "fine particles" from another membrane or something that's not their problem.

IMO stick with the cheaper carbon filters they do the same job, they just don't last as long (and by not lasting as long they don't get clogged) as quickly.

I went to home depot tonight and got a 1 micron filter also teed up the hot with the cold so my water is a little warmer and poof I am back in business. Eileen I think I only need the carbon block is it .5 micron? The one I got today was only 1 micron but seems to be doing the trick.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3288.msg37193#msg37193 date=1205212053]
I went to home depot tonight and got a 1 micron filter also teed up the hot with the cold so my water is a little warmer and poof I am back in business. Eileen I think I only need the carbon block is it .5 micron? The one I got today was only 1 micron but seems to be doing the trick.
[/quote]Bryan, if you see this in the next hour or so, I'm going by Lighthouse Water in HMB, I can pretty much pick up whatever you need. They have carbon/chloramine cartridges at a reasonable price. I can drop one by your house.

Think I am set though I guess it couldn't hurt to have a spare around just in case this happens again. Looking for a .5 micron carbon block filter 2 1/2" X 10" is the size for my unit. If you think it is a good isea to get a spare of anything else go ahead ad grab it for me and we can work it out.

Here are the replacement filters listed on the spectrapure site

Sediment Filter:
SF-MT-0.5-10 or upgrade to the Zeta-Zorb™ Sediment Filter SF-ZZ-0.2-10
Carbon Filter:
CF-0.5-10
Deionization Cartridges:
DI-MC-10 & DI-SB-10

Lighthouse doesn't have DI cartridges, they focus on drinking water, I'll pick you up a few carbons.

I need a couple of DI's when I get around to ordering them I'll let you know it'll be in the next few days.

Did you see the group buy area? Eileen was kind enough to open another buy if you want to buy their replacement packages. The prices are not that bad.

Back