Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Sfork, Feb 4, 2011.
The seams do overlap a bit. It's not as horrible as people make it sound, I never woulda figured it was considered a bad quality without reading people complain on the ADA vs Mr. aqua comparisons. Then again it's half the price of an ADA and none of the do! aquas are made this big.
I've decided to go backroundless and painted my pvc black. I still need to get around to Mario's so I can get my light fixture bent. I was supposed to have all the plumbing purpled and solvent this past weekend but I was on bed rest because I hurt my back at the gym because of bad form .
[img width=800 height=600]Http://sfork.net/nanoreef/DSCF1571.JPG[/img]
Leak test fail. The return bulkheads are leaking. I think I forgot to Teflon the threads to the elbows, Doh! Trying to take off the inner part of the bulkhead now so I can just redo the thread. Having a hard time removing the nut, even with gloves. I'm a bit hesitant to use a monkey wrench. May have to cut the pvc and start over.
Edit: Cut the pvc and started over, seriously I LOST one of the bulkheads I cant freaking find it. I didn't throw anything away.
Many department stores sell a wrench made of leather.
Spank spank... no just kidding
It is made for shower heads and pipes that have shiny surface, where metal wrench is a big no-no
Those work miracles around glass and on plastic bulkheads.
Haha, thanks. I just re-did the whole return side. Now that the swap is over and all the joints are dry time for leak test #2! All seems good except that I apparently Thought a Mag3 would have more head loss that It actually does. My mag pumps slightly more water than my overflow can handle with an open T out the back (handles it fine with the T closed, but it's loud as hell). Gonna have to install a ball valve on the pump to slow it down just a bit.
Spoke too soon, Gasket seems to be failing on one of the returns. Off to ace hardware tomorrow to get a ball valve and a wrench to remove the bulk head. Probably another gasket too just in case.
a Trip to Mario's and 4 separate trips to ace hard ware. Now I have light! hopefully no rain tomorrow so I can saw off the extra parts on the front prime and paint it and get some water in this tank.
The hanging hardware that came with the light F****** failed and I had to go replace it with some sturdy eyes.
Part that failed:
[img width=600 height=800]http://sfork.net/nanoreef/Cayman-Sun-HQI-Systems2017-3753.jpg[/img]
[img width=600 height=800]http://sfork.net/nanoreef/DSCF1579.JPG[/img]
[img width=800 height=600]http://sfork.net/nanoreef/DSCF1578.JPG[/img]
Looks good and strong can't wait to see life in this tank.
Thumbs up Tim! Looks great and the light hanger rocks.
Thanks, everything is good to go top side. Need to redo some plumbing down below (vinyl tube pump to isolate vibration). Probably going to home depot tomorrow and add some foam under the sump tomorrow before I fill it with water and stop at a michaels store to get some plastic mesh to add to everything.
[img width=600 height=800]http://sfork.net/bar/DSCF1584.JPG[/img]
[img width=800 height=600]http://sfork.net/bar/DSCF1590.JPG[/img]
Needs more water!
Nice looking tank, I like the dimensions of that, not too tall.
Looking good! Make sure you do the "power out" test to make sure the siphon won't overflow your sump.
Great my overflow is leaking AGAIN! at the thread! Drained the whole tank again cut the pvc near the elbow (at this point Im considering solventing the threaded elbow in) Tried to spin the elbow clockwise to see if I had not tightened it properly or something. JUST keeps spinning! twist if off bam bulkhead is cracked freaking great. I cant get to the nut to loosen it because of how the overflow is made. No clue what to do, just emailed glass holes.
Tim, I may have another bulkhead laying around, what's the size?
* What thread is leaking? Exterior or where the PVC goes in?
I have no idea about your specific bulkhead issue, other than you have my sympathy.
But for anything threaded:
Use a small amount of teflon, and a considerable about of silicone.
Silicone on face, around pipe, and on threads.
I usually toss away the rubber gasket as well. Depends on quality.
Hand tighten only, let it dry a few hours.
Seals great, does not crack things, and can still be disassembled, since silicone does
not really stick well to PVC.
This post is just for my future reference.
Just spent 2 hours trying to figure out my new reef angel. Still no clue, guess it'll wait another day.
[img width=800 height=600]http://sfork.net/bar/DSCF1702.JPG[/img]
[img width=600 height=800]http://sfork.net/bar/DSCF1705.JPG[/img]
A few weeks of cycling and no algae bloom. Threw in some starter corals. 2 ugly sps and some nuke green palys and ring of fire zoas on my zoa/paly skull