Our mission

Should I get a new tank even if I really can't afford it?

I'm looking at a 180 I think I can get for a steal, only problem is I have to pick it up tomorrow. I have no room at home for it, will dip into savings, surprise the cookies out of my g/f, and will need to round up a bunch of crap to make the tank work (pumps, lighting etc).

On the flip side, my current tank is so full of corals I'm really afraid it's gonna explode, plus a 40g tank isn't too flattering when it comes to coloring up coral because it's just too unstable.

If your 40g is that full and you are strapped for "extra" cash, then I would get the tank and pay for it by selling excess overflowing frags on RC. I know you don't normally sell (especially within the club), but this is a good reason to!

I say upgrade (since I am driving to LA this weekend and can't help move it :p )

Glass or acrylic? New or old? Reef Ready? Is it everything you want, and I mean everything?

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6608.msg85197#msg85197 date=1235775922]

Glass or acrylic? New or old? Reef Ready? Is it everything you want, and I mean everything?
[/quote]

That is why I'm hesitant, I really want a 5' tank (150), but this thing is so dern cheap, plus it's an old TruVu, the craftsmanship is top notch. OTOH, it has a center brace :p and black sides. It's reefready, has a large overflow with two drains. It's sooo cheap, I really want to have Gen build me my dream tank, but I don't see that happening for a few years the way all of the money crap is going right now...

LOL, where's the option... if your girlfriend stays will still stay with you :)

The no room for it... there's always room right?
Treat it like Obama's plan... spend more now, balance it back after... I hope.... by selling frags, your old tank and etc.

Good luck with the decision.

I think I'll be ok with the g/f, it keeps me at home and away from the saloon where I can get into trouble.

I do have some equipment I could sell, mostly lighting stuff.

Eeeeh, I'd rather not dip into savings unless it's for a true need. Accidents happen, people get sick, and opportunities to make money do show up. It's very nice to have cash around when these things pop into our lives unexpectedly.

IMO if that is that case don't do it. Wait for what you truly want.

You know you'd HATE that center brace and would curse at it daily until it broke :(

What would Gen charge for a 150 that you want?

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6608.msg85210#msg85210 date=1235777101]
You're super close Mike! I have $19 dollars in my wallet as we speak.

I think ~$200 is a good deal with a welded stand....
[/quote]

it is, but do you want a center brace? :D

FWIW I voted you're an idiot in general as I thought that was a funny catagory to be able to vote on :p

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6608.msg85211#msg85211 date=1235777150]
IMO if that is that case don't do it. Wait for what you truly want.

You know you'd HATE that center brace and would curse at it daily until it broke :(

What would Gen charge for a 150 that you want?
[/quote]

That is the only hang up in reality that stupid center brace, I do know I'll curse it, the openings are pretty big and the top is thick, but I just don't know. I think I'm hung up as I don't have time to make the decision and I tend to not be very impulsive.

Gen would allow me to use his shop to build one for the cost of a materials, otherwise the way I want it built will cost ~$600 (eurobraced, dual external overflows, beveled corners, hand polished)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6608.msg85214#msg85214 date=1235777232]
FWIW I voted you're an idiot in general as I thought that was a funny catagory to be able to vote on :p
[/quote]

I thought for sure that was Tony :D, I thought you were my friend man ;D

6 bills for heaven, that's cheap :)

What do you have to sell lighting wise? I could use 2x 250w MH electronic ballast for home and 3 more for work. I can get new IC's at cost but I'd be willing to buy from you instead (if it helps you out).

If you don't like the tank, don't get it man.. You will have to look at it everyday. I know it's cheap but if it's not something I like, you would have to pay me to take it ;D ..

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6608.msg85216#msg85216 date=1235777629]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6608.msg85214#msg85214 date=1235777232]
[/quote]

I thought for sure that was Tony :D, I thought you were my friend man ;D
[/quote]

If the vote means you are not friends with the voter, and you thought it was me, that must mean I hate you! Sweet! Time to mix bloodsport with reefing again!

I didn't vote but if its not what you want and the only thing that seperates your dream tank and a used kinda what you want tank is $400 I'd say pass on the old truvu... Spend the extra $400 on a brand new tank built to the exact specifications that you want.

Then I'll take the 180 and stand for $200... I can add it to the graveyard of acrylic tanks I call my carport!! Please no comments on my tank graveyard from SFSU, DYNGOE, IANI, BOUN11 or IBN hahahahahahha

Back