Reef nutrition

Sigma 24-70 F2.8

patchin

Supporting Member
Any opinions of the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 as a primary walk around lense? Heavy? Decent macro? Any experience out there? TIA

I used a 28-75 tamron and had great results.. If I had to do it again though I'd like something with a little bit more range for an everyday walkaround lens.. If I was going to go out with only one lens it'd probably be something along the lines of nikons 18-200 vr .. I know Ian just got one and he seems to like it.. Art has taken soem spectacular pics with his as well...

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it. .

My goal was to have a walk around lense with macro plus something in the range of 70-200. If I can get good quality in a 18-200, I may go that way. Any other experience out there?

If you are going to get a 70-200 f/2.8 and the on ly other lens you would have is your lower level zoom you might want to thin k about a 17-50 or something of that nature. I think the sigma version is like an 18-55 f/2.8 or something like that.

I started with the tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and a nikon 80-200 f/2.8 and longed for something wider.. I've since made the move to the nikon 17-55 and sold my tamron.. Pretty much covers my bases.. ther eis a gap between 55 and 80 but I haven't missed it yet.. I plan on getting a dedicated macro lens eventually.. Either the tamron 90mm or nikon 105 vr..

The tamron 28-75 can be had for 250 to 300 used and around 350-375 new with rebates...

Steve - assuming you stick with the Canon setup - Canon always has rebates from October through January or so.

The rebates will range from camera bodies to lenses to flash units.

If you're not in a huge hurry, check out camera shops that have rent out lenses to try out what you like or don't like and then decide on the lens or lenses you want to buy.

Rebates can range from $25 to $50

Oops sorry Steve.. Didn't know you shot a Canon.. The lenses are all similar in focal lengths and apertures though.. I would still recommend something with a little bit more range for an everyday walkaround

I agree with Eileen.. There are quite a few full service lcs that have great rental departments.. 70-200 f.2.8 can normally be rented for 40 for the whole weekend.. Most local shops don't rent the sigmas' though.;. Borrowlenses.com occasionally has 3rd party lenses.. They are local here on the peninsula..

Knowing your budget would go a long way. IMO, you should invest in lenses and (for example) get 1 really good lens a year vs a few ok lenses that you will want to replace later on.

I'm new to photography, so don't listen to a thing I say, BUT...

I guess the Sigma 28-70mm is cheap enough to give a shot. But you will find yourself wanting to replace it with better glass before too long, I bet.

I just got the 10-22mm for my 450D and used it for the first time when I was in Chicago. It is an awesome lens. I love shooting wide. The 24mm is not nearly wide enough for me if I could only have one lens for walk around. I'd hold out for something that was down to 17 or 18mm. Or just accept the fact that 2 good lenses are better than one.

Unfortunately the onlything that dos 1:1 magnification are the macro lenses. The best you will get with just about any other canon lens (and likely other brand non-macros) is ~0.3:1 (<30% as "close up" as a macro)

Also consider you may not need to purchase a Macro specific lens. Perhaps you can just arrange to borrow a macro from another bar member when you want to take some macro shots.

Any zoom lens can say it's a macro lens, but it isn't a true macro. It's a marketing term. Unless it's 1:1, it's not a macro.

The closest thing to a macro lens is something like the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. It goes to 1:3, which is about as close as you'll get to a macro out of any zoom walk around lens (decent ones).

Back