got ethical husbandry?

silly chat!

tuberider said:
Gomer said:
jerked goat

YUM!!!!
Goat at a glance

With more California ranchers raising goat, the fresh meat is increasingly available to chefs and home cooks.

How to cook it: Goat can stand in for lamb in most recipes, and the commercial cuts are similar to lamb cuts (shoulder, leg, loin, etc.).

What to look for: Younger animals will have white bones and yield tender, milder-tasting meat. Older animals' bones will be yellow and have a higher ratio of meat to bone.

What it costs: Prices for the fresh meat range widely. Bone-in goat shoulder runs about $4.99 a pound at the halal markets in the Bay Area, $7.99 a pound from Marin Sun Farms stand at the Ferry Plaza and Marin Civic Center farmers' markets, and $11.99 a pound for the Niman goat at Bi-Rite Market in San Francisco.

Where to try it: Restaurants including Oliveto (Oakland), Kokkari (San Francisco), Evvia (Palo Alto), Cafe Rouge and Eccolo (both in Berkeley) serve fresh goat dishes. Many Indian and Mexican restaurants also feature goat specialties.

- J.F.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/07/30/FDNP11R7VE.DTL#ixzz0qwaVCQRb

nudibranch said:
Alligator Jerky
Really it exists.
Once was having lunch in FLA and saw a fellow water skiing in the river outside the restaurant. I mentioned to the waiter, gosh I didn't realize there was recreational water skiing here and he replied, "Naaaa, that's just how we troll for the really big gators"

It was very informative ;)

Short of the long is goats are cool

screebo said:
How to cook it: Goat can stand in for lamb in most recipes....

That is a lie. Unless the goat is 3 months or younger (which you won't get) the meat needs ample cooking time, preferably braised so it doesn't dry out. It makes wonderful stews or fillings like pulled pork. Spit roasted only works well with kids, or it turns into a nice piece of leather.

If you want tio try it go to your local carniceria (latin/mexican butcher). Here in Vallejo I've seen it as low a $1.99lb.

-Gregory

If you get a chance to buy a Birria Burrito from one of the Lunch Wagons, you can tast a goat for yourselves! I don't care much for goat cheese because it tastes just like they smell.........eeeeeuuuuuuuu! :X

Had Alligator jerky, birria de chiva, barbacoa de chiva, goat jerk, curried goat. I think it's a tie between barbacoa de chiva, and curried goat, both are excellent. To compare goat to lamb is a joke, goat is much more lean and lacks the gelatinous nasty fat that lamb has, plus IME the flavor is more on the mild side/

nudibranch said:
First goats, then alligators, and then goats again???????
Everyone I know, when asked about the taste of goat say, "Not Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad"

And everyone loves those slit pupils. I wanna set of Hollywood contact lenses like that!

Sorry, I was getting a little silly.

I really like gator (tail) burgers but they tend to be kinda greasy.
If I need comic relief from editing tonight I may have to visit chat again!!

Back