Neptune Aquatics

Starting Up A New Tank

[quote author=Schmitty link=topic=2818.msg29841#msg29841 date=1200100168]
THat's why I was asking about the fish. Any recommendations on fish to include in a 30 gallon. I need a wrasse Im assuming and a shrimp to help with parasites, then probably a clown or two cause I like em and they seem to stay small... Any other suggestions, the hawkeye fish looks cool, Ive always been told is a good one to have...
[/quote]Royal Gramma, or Blackcap Basselt, Chalk Bass, Pygmy Angel, Tank Raised Neon Goby, tank raised Percs. There's a lot of fish out there, take your time AFA "hawkeye" fish I assume you mean some type of hawkfish? (Arc Eye?), I wouldn't risk a hawk in a 30g your asking for trouble.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=2818.msg29847#msg29847 date=1200100792]
Aren't hawkfish notorious for taking down shrimp and sanils? May be wrong.
[/quote]You're right they are SOB's, I put them in FO tanks with much larger fish to keep 'em in check.

I had a longnose hawkfish and he was awesome, unfortunatly he jumped ship before I could get a screen on my tank :( but while I had him he was an awesome fish, didn't bug anybody and just hung out on my zoo's all pimped out :)

Another problem Ive had in the past that I want to figure out is the water flow. Seems like Ive either had too much water flow or not enough, is there a formula or certain pumps that work better then others, I got these ones that use magnets to hold em and seem to spray the water out a little more then direct... Fish store highly recommended em, but it's still a situation where some mushrooms dont open all the way(Im assuming due to too strong a current)

Also, Ive had a six line wrasse in my current tank for a long while and he's always been really mellow and not bothered anyone. Do you think fish will be more teritorial and meaner in a smaller tank? Its the last thing I want. The more I talk about this, the more Im wishing I could hang onto my 55g. Its got some scratches and what not though, I think it will be real nice having a brand new tank after all this time.

Im pretty sure it was the asterinas, there was a rock that had at least 8 of them. They were really small to the point where you really had to look close just to see them. My question is, how can I be sure I got rid of them all and if I didn't is there anything I can do to get rid of them and bring back my zoos?

Well my problem is no longer, I sold the tank yesterday. I will be starting a new one, getting back to original topic here. Its been a while, do I just set the tank up with live sand and live rock first and is there anything I can add to the tank chemicals or fish or whatever that will help speed up the cycle? Live Rock wise, does it have to have a certain amount to get the cycle going?

What kind of corals do you want?
Will this tank have a sump?
What is the gph make/model return pump? Is there one or two return nozzles?

Im not sure, Im getting it today or tomorrow. There is no sump, it's a BioCube 29gallon with the protein skimmer on the back...

Also, hopefully this ends the last of my million questions on starting a tank up, but in the beginning process can I start with a few live rocks and add more in the middle of the cycle, or is it start with what your gonna start with and wait till the cycles is over till you add anything?
Would crabs/snails be ok to put in in the beginning just to have some moving life?

I would hold off on powerheads until the tank cycles and settles down. Once you fill the tank with sand and rock you can get a better ideal as to how much more flow you think you may need, again assuming you figure what kind of corals you place in the tank down the road.

I got the tank yesterday! Right now, I got the water in it and this morning it was up to the right temperature. Probably add sand and rocks today/tomorrow. Exciting times once again.

Ok, I just bought some live rock and most of it looks great, but one piece came with some algae on it and one of those pesty things ive seen that I had to use Joe's Juice to kill off... anyways, do I want to not put that rock in or should I do something to kill any bad shit that it might include and then put in?

I really like it's shape, thats the only reason I havent got rid of it already

Back