Kessil

Steinhart Aquarists head to the Philippines

That Chrissy, collecting worms without me..... :(( ... (give her a hug from me, okay?)

Interesting about the "swimming through sand". It's always been assumed that they build permanent burrows because dive guides can find them in the same spot night after night and simply because many eunicids do. A lot of worms though don't build burrows but produce flimsy pseudotubes by constantly secreting mucus as they move through sediment.

Even a small bobbitt will have several hundred pairs of legs & setal bundles acting as anchors holding onto the sediment - that is a lot of muscle! So you get major points for even trying. I have one bobbitt that was collected for me, smallish, incomplete at about 3 feet long, and all the setae were completely stripped or broken off due to the pressure required to drag it out of the burrow. Which means I can't identify it as setal composition is an important species character. Which is a pity because some colleagues & I want to write a paper on it. Ah well, maybe next year.... :bigsmile:

There was much bummedness in PI when the weather went bad the night we had planned to get one. We knew where there were at least 6 of them. Hopefully next year!

was at the Academy today (stupid free neighborhood day during a holiday weekend)... the Buddha window looks quite full of corals. Any reason that window has a lion's share and the main window not as much? I know there's more vertical than flat in the main window, but either way the side is starting to fill in quite nicely.

Thanks Mike. The buddha is the 'sps' window. The main window is supposed to be representative of a different site more softie dominated. Even if that play changes, the idea was to fill one window instead of spreading the corals out so something looked more 'complete'. There is a ton of coral going into the tank over the next two weeks - not from the recent trip, but to make space for stuff in holding from the current trip.

Back