Neptune Aquatics

Sump lighting

patchin

Supporting Member
I'm going to build a new sump and want to have 3 compartments. 1/3 skimmer-then the rest divided in half lengthwise, like Brian's, I think. One half of that fuge, the other half for frags. If I want mixed frags, what type of lighting would you guys suggest?

you got 3 choices
70/150 MH or 2x36 PC.

I can tell you from personal experience on my 10g frag tank, that 2x36 watt with AH reflectors and 50/50 coralife bulbs keeps SPS just fine. It won't get you the super colors from blasting with MH, but it works. Keep in mind though that my lights are quite low and corals high

I'm running a PFO pendant with 150w DE 14k Phoenix over one end of a 60 gallon sump. I have zoas, softies, and lps in there. I have some Idaho Grape in there, but the lighting isn't bright enough, so the IG is more like Idaho Totally Brown.

Mine is about 80 gallons 17" tall x19" deep by 48" long. I am using a single 250W pendant to light the frag area. Jury still out if that is enough or too much. I won't be adding and frags for a little while while I let it break in.

Colors up fast for me if I keep it at the top of the tank under 250w Radium. If I move it even 1/4 of the way down, it gets brown purple after a couple weeks.

Back