Our mission

Suppose to go to Mexico on Friday, bad idea?

What do you all think? I know it's out there, it's spreading, but is the media fear mongering? I saw a great post on CNN that said "only .0000000000018 of the population has swine flu, wake me up when it's .00000001%."

We are going to some place called Puerto Adventuras, about 1 hour south of Cancun, directly West of Cozumel. According to the resort, no one in the area is infected but of course they are going to say that. I think the biggest chance of catching something would be at the airport arriving and then departing. We have 6 people going, all who booked and arranged travel in different ways so changing it would be an ordeal.

Thoughts?

I remember coming back from China a few years back with a little cough when SARS first broke out, and I sent everybody in my company fleeing when I started coughing.

Definitely a dilemma Jay. I'm not sure what I would do. I personally think it's being blown a little out of proportion. If you think about it, only 149 people have died out of the millions and millions that populate Mexico. And I have to believe that if there was a serious threat of a pandemic, the US along with other countries would close their borders.

But having said that, it's definitely still a risk to go because of the uncertainty and it's your health that we're talking about. I would hate for you to have to reschedule everything. At the same time, I guess it comes down to how much risk you're willing to take on. Everyone asked me if I thought it was a good idea for me to go down to Mexico during all of the drug violence. But I still went and never saw or had to deal with anything. Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you do end up going, hopefully your connection is in Houston as opposed to Mexico City...at the very least, maybe you could switch that flight if that's the case.

Just stuck my parents on a cruise ship that leaves for Mexico today... funny right before we left the news of course was hammering this like it's the god damn black death. Showing nice little colored countries & states to show where Swine Flu as showed up etc... makes me wonder if a lawsuit could be brought against them for blowing things out of proportion (if they in fact are).... but I guess the News is immune from inciting a panic/riot type lawsuits.

Try to take some precautions if you go. Basically good hygiene. Wash your hands well before you eat or after you go into any public place. My husband calls me paranoid (my Mom was a hand washing obsessed nurse), but it can't hurt. Stay away from "sick" people. My kids school sent out a recommendation of at least 3 feet (yes, the schools are warning parents and asking us to keep kids at home if they show flu-like symptoms). I would take Purell or something similar. We normally take that and hand wipes when we go on vacation.

We have N95 masks we plan on wearing at the airports, bottles of purell, purell wipes for the airplane seats and room, etc... The GF got a prescription of Tamiflu, I'm trying to work my doctor back home to get one as well. I'm a little nervous but still think the media is blowing it way out of proportion... A group of people here at work just went to a wedding in Puerto Vallarta and said they didn't see what the big deal was. If it was easy to cancel and reschedule we would but the people going all booked seperately, using different sites, agents, etc...

Thanks all, wish me luck!

Your big problem is going to be that a lot of restaurants and what not are shut down in Mexico. That may put a damper in your vacation.

Mr. Ugly said:
http://www.slate.com/id/2217045/pagenum/all/#p2

While the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises that people who have SARS wear these masks, they do not even recommend them for people in contact with those patients unless the infected person can't wear one.

Sweet! So if you see someone with a mask beat them into a bloody pulp because they probably are infected! Shotguns at the ready!!! We got zombies to hunt!!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/28/state/n105917D99.DTL&tsp=1

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/28/MN3H17A0K8.DTL&type=health

Media says that after the SARS outbreaks, government and health officials developed emergency preparedness plans.

15-20 years ago, a friend who "knows somebody who knows somebody" was already telling me about government plans for dealing with epidemic emergencies. Came down to overloaded health care systems, martial law, quarantine in schools and other public facilities, and priority on limiting deaths and not on saving the people that are locked up in quarantine.

declares state of emergency.... but there's no need to be alarmed :D

I'm telling you, I need to buy my plot of land out in the boonies, build a home that's totally self-sufficient and when all hell breaks loose like this I can just ride it out.

yes, sad to say if something horrible happened we would be stuck in the bay area to die with the rest.

norm, i like what your posting.

DBTC - Survivor Edition

I have available:

- All the frags in my tanks
- One .45 caliber Star PD
- 500 rounds of Winchester Silvertips

Pick a number from 1-100.

Last one able to post in this thread can have all my items.

There are extra buckets of salt in the garage.

Please lock the doors after you leave.

Back