The sunny reef on the hill

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by bayview, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

What made you want to do the ats so much? I know vortechs are expensive, but maybe one with the battery backup would be a feasible option?

2. bayview

bayview Guest

Yeah wish $ wasn't an option; then I wouldn't have to work j/k

Been doing this on the cheap so far no more than $200 invested total (salt, plastic, tarp, heater) rest was donated or I already had; was only planning on putting another $400 into this for awhile ow well ... (salt, 600gph return; overflow; 2 x 1300gph wave makers; fish; sps frags)

Color looks fine with the tarp tint and blue t5's I already had; Have used icecap 430's VHO ballasts if it really bugs me. Right now when I'm usually home enjoying it is from 6-8pm; colors really pop good then ....

Not sure what to do on the back up power; needs auto on / auto off ability with outages.

Biggest concern is temperature at night with a power failure.

Figured it will take min 1000watts peak off an on; return pumps 100watts; 800 watts in heaters ....

Priced out the ups was more than I'm willing to dish out currently
    $150 ups inverter with auto on / off
    $200 180 watt solar battery charger
    $550 3 x 100amp hour deep cycle batteries

That would barely cover an 9 hour overnight outage ... (3600watts / 400w = 9 hour b-up )

3. bayview

bayview Guest

Went with the ATS as it keeps the nitrate and phosphates at 0 even with my massive overfeeding habits;
    By keeping everything at 0 it will keep algae out of the tanks even with the sunlight; .
    (It is sized for 1000 gallon system);
    Takes up a small area (biggest bang for buck);
    No recurring cost; aka phosphate media to change etc.

This guys ATS is what got me intrigued;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-XumCtH4Y

Just noticed the natural gas pool heater is abandoned here .... looks abit big ... wonders if it can be converted to saltwater without going boom

4. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I have been running an ATS for years. Love it.

For the heater : Suggest a secondary isolated loop.
    So the pool heater heats a small fresh water reservoir, which then is pumped through
    the sump in a PEX pipe, transferring heat to the main tank.

5. h20player101

h20player101 Guest

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2162257

You may want to check out that thread to see if there is anything worth copying. They get a little more light in Australia then us here, but might be something useful.

6. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Are those all koi?

7. bayview

bayview Guest

Well I decided living in the bay and the view was costing me to much; decided to make some concessions in life instead ... and to look at foreclosures, 7 more days of escrow and I hopefully will have my own property / shack :) 5k gpd well 50ppm

Good news is 90% of my reef animals have survived; and are doing well in my fathers sun gazebo ... sps, jawfish, blenny didn't make it
    Plan on setting up two displays 120 5ft long and getting a dsa neo 105 rimless for inside the house ...

Still have to work occasionally in the bay but allot less, and hope to start showing up at meetings again;

Maybe in the spring ill get to setting up a coral pond / propagation area ...

So far checked out some local stores all seemed awesome
    aquarium depot & my reef in roseville both had good selections and affordable;
    Aqua Life Aquarium in rocklin also was packed with frags ..

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/babbykoi.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/babbykoi_0.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/fish.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/frags.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/photo7.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/sunroom.JPG

8. bayview

bayview Guest

Yeap those are about 1/30 of the babes that hatched this year, my dad has another 2,000 one year olds that have been culled for color, and about another 500+ 3 year olds and breeders ... he needs to sell them :p or he keeps building more ponds ....

I told him I'll take some soon, he thinks for a pond, I was more of thinking of trading them in for some frags lol

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/dadshouse.JPG

9. bayview

bayview Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

11. bayview

bayview Guest

Custom buildmyled.com led light
    24uv 18 deep blue 18 royal blue 8 warm white 4 660 red
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

beautiful tang!

13. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

14. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Very nice!!
    I really like the color and how everything pops.

This was interesting and a rather unique ratio:
    > 24uv 18 deep blue 18 royal blue 8 warm white 4 660 red
    That is a lot of UV LEDs. Probably why everything "pops."
    Are you happy with that?
    Intriguing.

15. bayview

bayview Guest

I love it I just ordered 2 10 w rbg led floodlights with remotes that are dim-able to be able change the color more and use as moonlights ... even at 10% brightness the lowest it goes it is to bright to use as a moonlight ... 2 whites could be swapped out for greens would be a better arctic light

The spectrum is exactly of a 20k bulb with arctics added the uv is at 400nm ... It's a great viewing light ... 48" they just came out with 60" and 72" inch this last week ...

Led from 10am-7pm 50% brightness
    400w 20k halide 3-7pm
    Led from 7-10pm 100%

Led with halide
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    led
    [​IMG]

16. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Wild colors with the LED only.
    In a way I might like that better. Ditch the Halide. :)
    Very cool purple effect. Not surprising with that mix.

17. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

I love how purple everything is with LEDs only!

18. bayview

bayview Guest

I will ditch the halide when I can save for 4 50w led 20k floods ... kinda didn't want to experiment with the spread or color either... would cost about another $700 to get rapidled fixtures or 2 more 60" buildmyled bars ... I actually happy with the halide ... temps still not above 79 and am getting outstanding growth and color is good as well .

Led video with dimming effects and 10watt rgb effects

19. bayview

bayview Guest

40g rimless
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    120l
    [​IMG]

20. bayview

bayview Guest

rgb
    [​IMG]