High Tide Aquatics

Torts STN

My Cali and Oregon Tort started to STN from the base up and I can't figure out what is going on. Other SPS in the tank look ok, but I have noticed a big decrease in polyp extension. Here are my params:

S.G. 1.026 (refractometer)

Alk: 9dkh
Calc: 420 PPM
Mag: 1350 PPM

I recently added some GFO for the first time in my system. I used 1/4 of the recommended dose to be on the safe side. Could the GFO be the cause?

Thanks in advance guys!

Lost my Oregon tort too. Mine started bleaching and it went pretty quickly. All other acros and millis looked "OK" but not thriving. I found my SG to be WAY high (1.028) and my carbonate hardness way high too (14-15) With that balanced out properly, the polyps on my sensitive acros, GARF Bonsai, Tricolor etc are extending their polyps again. I have lots more trouble with my branching corals showing stress when conditions change than my LPS. LPS seem to thrive no matter what changes. I had to cut back the dosing of my ALK component of my two part dosing in order to drop the ALK. I shut it down for about 3 days until I saw the Ph start to drop back to the 8.1 to 8.3 level and carbonate hardness drop to about 7 or 8.

Regarding GFO, I run BRS's brand of GFO in a simplicity reactor in the sump. I think it is a plus and keeps the phosphates below measurable levels. Lastly, once I started suplementing my feeding with Roti Feast and Oyster Feast, I see all the SPS looking much happier with much more polyp extension. I feed it early in the morning while all the acans are still open and feeding

I just checked my Alk test and Refract. against the BAR standards and both seem to check out. The samples I have are a little old though so maybe those are off as well. I am going to do a 20% water change tonight to see if that helps.

I am also battling a bit of an algae outbreak. Could phosphates cause these symptoms?

I gave the torts a providone bath and did not find any AEFW, but all these little flea looking bugs came off. I am wondering if they are Red Bugs. The ones that came off in the dip are black though and I can't see them on my acros in the tank. Do I have Red Bugs?

You may.
Get some reading glasses or something to magnify and you should be able to see the little buggers.
The cure is interceptor.

How small were the things that came off? Red bugs are like the size of a period at the end of this sentence.

They were about the size of a period. They were kind of twitching around too. Don't know if that is normal behavior or if it was the dip.

The little "flea" looking critters are pods and a very good thing. They are a sign of a healthy reef and food for your fish and night feeders. Kinda "oily" looking things, eh? :) Look over your reef, late at night with a flashlight and you'll see their beady little eyes as they skidder for cover.

I think they might be side shrimps, and if so they are just harmless scavengers who probably came out of hiding because they "smelled" dead things. Same thing happened in my tank when the heater was accidentally left on and I lost most of my pieces.

Scott what did your pH do when you added the GFO? I only ask because I watched mine plummet when I purposefully added more than "recommended" (previously had been following light applications). Did not bounce back until I took the reactor offline 2 wks later for reactor pump cleaning...
Other than that I think you're right for seeking a second opinion. Still have my number? What are you doing tomorrow that is my only day.

Hey Dave,

According to my controller, the PH didn't drop after adding the GFO. I am still at a loss as to what is going on in my tank. I went to a LFS and double checked my Salinity and Alk. Both are accurate when compared to their test. Now all my acros are bleaching, not just the smooth skinned ones.

The only thing I have changed recently is replacing my RODI filters and adding GFO. Any one have suggestions?

FWIW, my acos and branching coral are the most sensitive of anything in the tank regarding reacting to changes in tank chemistry. I'm still tweeking to get the perfect combination of conditions and feeding going. Tuberider pointed out to me that he has certain "indicator" corals that are the first to suffer and show stress when conditions change for the worse. I've noticed that as well in my tank.

I just realized that there is a small bit of polyp extension on the shaded side of my acros, but none on the parts that receive a lot of light. Do I possibly have a cracked bulb?

Back