Kessil

Trouble in Paradise? I.D. please

It looked like a patch of very dark algae until I saw it move tonight. It moves like a snail (hoping it's not a monti eating nudi) and is as flat as a shadow. It seems to have a shell in the middle but it's foot is thing and a mantel appears to be all external. Two short black antenea and it moves pretty fast. I think I saw two which probably means 500. I've recently noticed a huge hatch of normal looking little snails on the reef but these guys must have been here a while.

ID and recommendations please.
IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1127-1.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

Thanks, guys. I was real worried 'cause they can flatten to the point that you cannot get under the mantle. They are like little shadows in the tank. Like Jon said, "They're cool". Suckers only come out at night. At least it gave me a chance to see all the night feeding LPS going at it. Now I know why my BAR donated "I wanna sex you up" mycedium is doing s0o well. It has a nest of sweepers that extend an inch and a half as they sweep for bits and pieces. Gave me a chance to feed the sun corral and dendros by hand too.

I'll see if I can corral some of the shadow snails for DBTC! :bigsmile:

Congratulations, Erick and thanks!

Very cool. You've qualified to be a recipient of a Screebo-frag if you'll be at the BOD meeting. I've got Pink Poodle zoa's, Jumbo Green Palys, Screaming Green Bird's nest (for those who like birdsnest) Star Gaze clove polyps and I'm about to frag a jumbo Duncan colony. Perhaps a few Duncan heads. Oh.......green candy cane too!
VDay19.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

northbay-reefer said:
I think those are a type of snail (limped I think), they are wonderful grazer, my old tank was full of them. They do multiply fast though

Hey Tom,
You were on the right track with the limpet. It's fun to watch them move around, following the contour and texture of the reef below them. The Engineer who designed that critter did a great job with survivability!

I had a limpet like that a long time ago. Just be careful because mine got really big, crawled into my old hang on back skimmer and jammed the whole thing.

screebo said:
northbay-reefer said:
I think those are a type of snail (limped I think), they are wonderful grazer, my old tank was full of them. They do multiply fast though

Hey Tom,
You were on the right track with the limpet. It's fun to watch them move around, following the contour and texture of the reef below them. The Engineer who designed that critter did a great job with survivability!

Accept the one you have does not multiply fast, in fact, I doubt it will ever multiply in your tank/ Very few can, and do, in aquaria.

I read, listen and learn................ H)
Thanks for contributing to my knowledge base, Gresham. Hope to see you at next weekend's meeting!

John, I am thinking about fragging a few heads of duncans for the swap (referring to your post #7). Do you just use a Dremel tool with the cutting wheel to cut through the hard stalk? Or is there a special technique?

Hi Christina,
Duncans have a very thick skeleton and would heat up excessively using a dremel IMO. Most of us are using a lapidary band saw, cooled with tank water, to separate LPS heads such as Duncans. I have a saw that is transportable but I don't have plans to be in the East Bay soon. If you were willing to pack up your duncans and bring them to San Carlos, I'd be happy to saw them up for you and show you how. It's a pretty quick and simple operation that you could plan to do yourself in the future. My duncans loved being sawed and the frags (4 heads each) expanded to nearly mother colony size within a day of sawing. Just let me know if I can assist. :)

Scutus do multiply in aquariums. Not sure of their lifecycle or how they manage to survive the pumps n stuff, but always found babies in the sump, along with the baby stomatella. If anybody wants to get rid of their big mean black evil scutus... lemme know. I'll be happy to take em off your hands. :D

treylane said:
Scutus do multiply in aquariums. Not sure of their lifecycle or how they manage to survive the pumps n stuff, but always found babies in the sump, along with the baby stomatella. If anybody wants to get rid of their big mean black evil scutus... lemme know. I'll be happy to take em off your hands. :D

So the little ones you saw had a black mantel? Did they grow up to have a black mantel? ALmost everyone that says what you just said answers no to both of those questions and in fact were seeing the normal little white ones reefers routinely get and that bred like mad in aquariums.

I only see individuals, hours after the lights have gone off. They lay so flat, they are more like a shadow than an animal. The mantles are as back as night and completely cover the little center shield.

Back