Kessil

Urgent..need to reseal silicon

reeffer

Supporting Member
Came home and half of my tank water was on the floor. Black silicon on the edge came loose and started leaking. Can anyone suggest a place where they can reseal the whole tank? It's 120 gal starfire glass. Have to get the rug doctor and clean the carpet.

Man that sucks BELIVE ME !!
I have to reseal a glass tank too but I had a tank already waiting for the livestock.
Do you have an emergency plan laid out for the livestock ?
Even if you seal it today, right this instant, silicon has to cure for quite some time.

Arman, that sucks. The only place I know in the bay area that would do it is world marine systems. Ask Robert at Neptune to see if he can put you in touch with them.

rgonzalez said:
reeffer: What type or where did you get the tank? Maybe they can re-seal?
I believe the tank was an aquarium obsessed tank. They are now out of business, even if they were still around they were in Canada.

How does a tank "leak" ?? I mean, silicone is pretty solid stuff. So is it sloppy construction, laziness, or bad silicone?

S... happens and when it does you don't expect it. I have one too that the entire back glass at the bottom had nothing to hold it together, you can see gunky stuff between the glass !!! I thought it was a tiny leak from the side but took it down and no way can be just given a fresh bead of silicon, it has to be taken apart, cleaned and re-sealed.
Bad job, bad luck, earthquake country, scrapped too much and didn't notice, you name it...

rgonzalez said:
How does a tank "leak" ?? I mean, silicone is pretty solid stuff. So is it sloppy construction, laziness, or bad silicone?
yes, yes, yes and it just happens. Silicone is an adhesive, and you have a lot of weight pushing on the glass panes so it will eventually fail.

reefer.. sorry to hear that .. thats sucks.. its my biggest fear. I have the number for World Marine if you need it, but i thought they only work on Acrylic tanks?

Everything is now clean and carpet is drying. Thank god for wet/dry vacuum and rug doctor. Livestocks are in what used to be my reservoir tank (50 gal). The tank is from aquarium obssesed and it's rimless. I think what contributed to seal coming loose is the wavebox. I have a nice 1-1.5 inch of wave and seal on opposite of wavebox just gave out. Now my dilema is to fix it or get a new tank. Anyone has recommendation on a tank locally?

Check the MARS forum, Keith Grant is the name to search for, just ask people will chime in.
A while back Coralsb4bills had a new Lee Mar tank that the bottom cracked while sitting in the truck bed, I think he contacted The Aquarium Showroom or Aquatic Gallery and had the glass bottom replaced.
Neptune had or has a pre-order special but on Aqueon, not sure if Oceanic which would be the nicer tank to go with.

Arman - I still have my Oceanic 120g - not rimless, not starphire (but older style Oceanic when the overflow boxes were box shaped)

rgonzalez said:
xcaret: Have you seen any tanks from Keith? Good/Bad?

I've checked the MARS forum from the people who had him build the tank plus what them (MARS) can tell you, seems top notch.
Keith teamed up with a LFS over in the Sacramento area.
His name pops when people ask for a custom glass tank maker.

Back