Kessil

Urgent..need to reseal silicon

Came home and half of my tank water was on the floor. Black silicon on the edge came loose and started leaking. Can anyone suggest a place where they can reseal the whole tank? It's 120 gal starfire glass. Have to get the rug doctor and clean the carpet.

Man that sucks BELIVE ME !!
I have to reseal a glass tank too but I had a tank already waiting for the livestock.
Do you have an emergency plan laid out for the livestock ?
Even if you seal it today, right this instant, silicon has to cure for quite some time.

Arman, that sucks. The only place I know in the bay area that would do it is world marine systems. Ask Robert at Neptune to see if he can put you in touch with them.

rgonzalez said:
reeffer: What type or where did you get the tank? Maybe they can re-seal?
I believe the tank was an aquarium obsessed tank. They are now out of business, even if they were still around they were in Canada.

How does a tank "leak" ?? I mean, silicone is pretty solid stuff. So is it sloppy construction, laziness, or bad silicone?

S... happens and when it does you don't expect it. I have one too that the entire back glass at the bottom had nothing to hold it together, you can see gunky stuff between the glass !!! I thought it was a tiny leak from the side but took it down and no way can be just given a fresh bead of silicon, it has to be taken apart, cleaned and re-sealed.
Bad job, bad luck, earthquake country, scrapped too much and didn't notice, you name it...

rgonzalez said:
How does a tank "leak" ?? I mean, silicone is pretty solid stuff. So is it sloppy construction, laziness, or bad silicone?
yes, yes, yes and it just happens. Silicone is an adhesive, and you have a lot of weight pushing on the glass panes so it will eventually fail.

reefer.. sorry to hear that .. thats sucks.. its my biggest fear. I have the number for World Marine if you need it, but i thought they only work on Acrylic tanks?

Everything is now clean and carpet is drying. Thank god for wet/dry vacuum and rug doctor. Livestocks are in what used to be my reservoir tank (50 gal). The tank is from aquarium obssesed and it's rimless. I think what contributed to seal coming loose is the wavebox. I have a nice 1-1.5 inch of wave and seal on opposite of wavebox just gave out. Now my dilema is to fix it or get a new tank. Anyone has recommendation on a tank locally?

Check the MARS forum, Keith Grant is the name to search for, just ask people will chime in.
A while back Coralsb4bills had a new Lee Mar tank that the bottom cracked while sitting in the truck bed, I think he contacted The Aquarium Showroom or Aquatic Gallery and had the glass bottom replaced.
Neptune had or has a pre-order special but on Aqueon, not sure if Oceanic which would be the nicer tank to go with.

Arman - I still have my Oceanic 120g - not rimless, not starphire (but older style Oceanic when the overflow boxes were box shaped)

rgonzalez said:
xcaret: Have you seen any tanks from Keith? Good/Bad?

I've checked the MARS forum from the people who had him build the tank plus what them (MARS) can tell you, seems top notch.
Keith teamed up with a LFS over in the Sacramento area.
His name pops when people ask for a custom glass tank maker.

Back