High Tide Aquatics

What's going on with my scoly?

well IME I had a bleeding apple and it was super fluffy and one day started receding and couldn't figure why. tried dipping. nothing. then algae started growing onto the skeleton that was exposed so I decided to blow it off with a turkey baster and by accident I blew over the mouth and it opened. to my surprise I found a collonista snail that it was trying to digest and was stressing itself out cause it couldn't digest it. I blew the snail out and a week later the scoly was back in the game fluffy as ever. Just my experience. good luck

sfboarders said:
anathema said:
sfboarders said:
Gonzo said:
Thanks Greg. Under just actinics it's a really nice spearmint green.

Next up is to find a really nice bleeding apple scoly :)

Gotta get a war paint scoly too. :)

Gotta collect them all! We learned well as kids!

Yup, also applies to plate corals. :bigsmile: ;)

I thought I had a full set but they keep making new ones! J)

As an aside, I had a similar experience to what JRocha describes with a heliofungia. In that case, it came with a commensal crab that lived INSIDE it's mouth. I thought it was kind of cool at first, but the coral stopped being able to close it's mouth, and upon further inspection the crab had died. I pulled it out with forceps and about 2 days later the heliofungia was back to normal. I'd imagine that with any aggressive feeding LPS it would be worth checking the mouth for foreign objects that might have gotten stuck. I think in the wild these corals depend n storms to help them out in this situation (just a guess) and with the regular unchanging flow sequences in captivity they never get a violent wave to blow the object out. Or maybe they just choke to death sometimes.

Heliofungia just hit the 5 month mark, so I can't call it a success yet, but it appears to be thriving now that it's mouth is no longer blocked.

Back