Reef nutrition

What's the difference?

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
So this is a newb question and I'm sure with a bit of research I'd quickly find out. What's the difference between systems like KHguardian and a Trident Apex? Either one is still a ways off for me. Do they basically do the same thing? Do both test and dose what's needed to make correction to the system?

kinda simple from function stand point.

Khg test only alk. It's stand alone so you do not need controller. Khg capable of dosing (Alk) as well without the need for extra doser.

Trident test alk, ca and mag. Its not stand alone and require apex controller. If you want it to dose also you require DOS..

So this is a newb question and I'm sure with a bit of research I'd quickly find out. What's the difference between systems like KHguardian and a Trident Apex? Either one is still a ways off for me. Do they basically do the same thing? Do both test and dose what's needed to make correction to the system?
The most obvious thing is the KH Guardian only tests alkalinity, where as the Neptune Trident tests alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. There could be differences like frequency of testing changes, but the above is the main thing.

That said, the Trident doesn't dose by itself, but you certainly can make it do so by programming that in if you wish because you also need the Apex to run with it. The KH Guardian may dose if you have the "pro" model, but only one channel and I think it's a prescribed amount (i.e. no changing how much it does). Either way I wouldn't rely on either strong enough to let it auto-dose for you, however the Trident can stop your dosing if values get too high, which is something I would rely on... along with an alert.

Okay you have GHL kh director, that integrated with all the GHL gear and requires a 3 headed doser to run it. You can run this with a doser connected to your Profilux, or if you just want the kh testing you can run it stand alone with an SA doser. This unit just tests kh but can be used to control dosing from a ghl doser. This will test and then deposit the waste water from the test in a container

dr.bridge kh guardian is from a stand alone company and works with both apex and ghl by sending the alk reading via a bnc (the connector your pH probe would use) the khg will test and then return all the test water and reagent to the tank since it is safe to do so, this is huge for me so I don’t deal with salinity changes due to tests. It also has a dosing head that it could use to automatically dose a one part alk solution, but I prefer to use the results to tweak my dosing schedule manually

Trident tests ca, mg, and alk and connects to apex. It puts waste water from tests into a waste container, I don’t know much about these beyond that.

@ofzakaria do you know how many different things I can dose with the trident? Can I set it up to dose all three things it tests for?
Trident is a test only machine. It test the 3 elements. Dosing is done separately by using DOS. The thing with Trident is you need to use neptune controller snd dosers if you want to dose based upon it.
Diffrent ppl will have diffrent preference with each. I prefer khg for multiple factors like cost, stand alone and ability to put test water back in the system. I also think testing ca and mag daily is waste of money and time..
But others will prefer trident for other reasons.

Last edited:
Trident is a test only machine. It test the 3 elements. Dosing is done seloratly by using DOS. The thing with Trident is you need to use neptune controller snd dosers if you want to dose based upon it.
Diffrent ppl will have diffrent preference with each. I prefer khg for multiple factors like cost, stand alone and ability to put test water back in the system. I also think testing ca and mag daily is waste of money and time..
But others will prefer trident for other reasons.
I have trident paired with the DOS for Alk and Cal only. I looked at KHG, but figured that something that will test Cal and Mag, too would be worth my time. Also like that after you get used to Trident, you can turn over (within reason) the dosing adjustments to it. It's been working well for me.

DOS comes in two-pump configs. If you want to dose three things, you will need to purchase 2 DOS kits
Indeed. With khg I dose all using a cheap one doser. I simply have the khg control the doser on off based on the alk. This way I also do not run the risk of messing my ca and alk ratios which I feel is more probable using trident.

Indeed. With khg I dose all us9ng a chewp one doser. I simply have the khg control the doser on off based on the alk. This way I also do not run the risk of messing my ca and alk ratios which I feel is more probable using trident.

Oh - i have 8 dosing heads besides the DOS. :)

My ratios are pretty steady-- I've been roughly 3:1 Alk to Cal forever. Yes, if Trident takes over Cal or Alk and pumps in +10% of one and not the other - which it does at times, but I'm usually on top of it an can get in there to tweak

Disclaimer here. I own 2 khgs(used to own 3) and kh director.
Clearly I choose the khg cause to me it was more valuable. I did not aquire trident cause I did not want to upgrade my apex at the time rather later switched to ghl p4 controller..

Oh - i have 8 dosing heads besides the DOS. :)

My ratios are pretty steady-- I've been roughly 3:1 Alk to Cal forever. Yes, if Trident takes over Cal or Alk and pumps in +10% of one and not the other - which it does at times, but I'm usually on top of it an can get in there to tweak

so I just purchased the Apex system. Do you recommend using the DOS or just monitor and adjust manually?

Not all tanks consume alk/ca in ratio. My tank consumes more Alk than the ratio to Ca so I have to dose Alk on top of what my CaRx produces. If I only tune my CaRx using my Alk values, my Ca levels will sky rocket.

Not all tanks consume alk/ca in ratio. My tank consumes more Alk than the ratio to Ca so I have to dose Alk on top of what my CaRx produces. If I only tune my CaRx using my Alk values, my Ca levels will sky rocket.
Thanks for chiming in. Vince works for neptune and can give more informations about trident.
My personal experience is to never dose sepratly and always dose equal parts..

Last edited:
If you are beginner i would start monitoring only so you get in synch with your tsnk consumption and needs. This will reduce risk of overdosing. Trust me you do not want to deal with alk overdose.
Thanks for that advice. I think I would rather do all that myself. I actually enjoy it and feel it builds my knowledge.

Back