Our mission

What's Your Day Job?

goldielocke76 said:
BAYMAC said:
I work on a cat ranch as a cat wrangler. Unfortunately this allows me no spare time :(

What does this involve exactly? If you don't mind me asking. I never thought I'd see an answer like that, so I am super curious. LoL makes me think of a dairy farm almost, but you go in suited up in Kevlar to to pull a cat out LOL

I am a senior customer support rep for Mixbook, more specifically, a Senior Print Quality Analyst. That means I get to review peoples' books and fix any potential text cut offs, bleed issues, etc. Let's just say that Valentine's Day is the most interesting day of the year. Hahaha xD

I just started going to SJSU commuting with Denzil and I hung out at the office when class was out. They jokingly offered me a job back in October '10 and I sent in my app, did the whole interview process and got the job in November. As far as jokes go, it's been the longest lasting one.

I am going to school for Corporate Financial Management, but will probably go back to school after May's graduation to get my state license to become a veterinarian technician. Working with animals is my first love.

Its truly a rough life. Not a day passes where I don't get scratch. Heck, I've gotten cat scratch fever a few times, but that was no match for the ongoing battle of toxoplasmosis. I would not recommend this life for the faint hearted.

In truth, I work for Reed Mariculture, the producers of Instant Algae, Reef Nutrition and APBreed products. I've spent well over a decade working in my main passion, aquatics. Never a dull moment, and always for top notch companies.

BAYMAC said:
In truth, I work for Reed Mariculture, the producers of Instant Algae, Reef Nutrition and APBreed products. I've spent well over a decade working in my main passion, aquatics. Never a dull moment, and always for top notch companies.

Tigger-Pods are kinda named after a cat... sorta kinda maybe not....

Mr. Ugly said:
BAYMAC said:

Tigger-Pods are kinda named after a cat... sorta kinda maybe not....

Hah... not according to us when asked by Disney and the Robinson Family Estate :lol:

Tigrioupus californicus

I'm a grad student, which isn't a real job but it might as well be with the hours I put in in the lab. I'm getting a PhD in Materials Science and Engineering from UC Berkeley. My research is focused on biomaterials, specifically polymer-based scaffolds for the delivery of stem cells to damaged tissues for tissue regeneration.

h20player101 said:
Self-employed Camino Co.: I buy and sell gold, silver, and platinum for investment purposes, physical delivery. Also buy and sell collectible coins, stamps, currency, and general memorabilia.

Cool! Do you do retail sales? It's been a few years since I've purchased/sold any physical bullion.

My day job is a business consultant for an electronics company headquartered in Taiwan. Working across multiple time zones means that I keep odd hours - thankfully I have few 2:00am conference calls these days. I wear multiple hats and, depending on the project and situation, have multiple titles. The expression "Jack of all trades, master of none" applies. :p

lattehiatus said:
The expression "Jack of all trades, master of none" applies. :p
Hah, I pretty much started the same way at my company. Now I'm just working on being a master of every trade I'm a jack of, LoL.

R&D!

This one is simple, just ask my wife! Err Anything involving the generation, purification, delivery and measurement of soft X-ray/EUV light used in making next-gen semiconductors.

Perhaps I could cat wrangle when I retire?

I am a general contractor/ real estate developer.
Mostly I work in northern SF ;)
My most recent project was just featured in the Chronicle.
http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Cow-Hollow-contemporary-delivers-bay-views-3844474.php

FeliciaLynn said:
I'm a grad student, which isn't a real job but it might as well be with the hours I put in in the lab. I'm getting a PhD in Materials Science and Engineering from UC Berkeley. My research is focused on biomaterials, specifically polymer-based scaffolds for the delivery of stem cells to damaged tissues for tissue regeneration.

Congratulations you just made me feel stupid, and not many people can make that happen :D

sfsuphysics said:
FeliciaLynn said:

Congratulations you just made me feel stupid, and not many people can make that happen :D
Haha sorry! Trust me, its not quite as complicated as it sounds. Research projects are never easy to put in plain english. The people the do software development make me feel stupid because I'm not much of a computer person. :)

Back