Kessil

When is the next frag swap?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Don't see anything listed on the events page beyond the June meeting, and being as I got a big ol' tank that I'm ready to restock just wanted to know which Saturday do I need to worry about, since I'll be helping the wife and running a farmer's market every Saturday throughout September starting in mid/late July and even if I left the market at exactly 1pm (fat chance of that happening) I wouldn't get to Chabot until at least 2pm (probably closer to 3:30 and by that time... no more frags :()

They've been moving the swaps around so I'm not perfectly certain on this, but I think this is the regional swap which is open to members of other clubs as well as BAR. Not sure if there's a non-member fee associated with it.

The 2014 Calendar of Events that Felicia posted awhile back only had two frag swaps for the year - the BAR Members Only on 2/8 and the Regional Swap on 8/9....maybe if enough interest, we can get another members only frag swap on the calendar?!

Ok this may be a dumb question but how exactly does the frag swap work. I googled it and there seems to be different models.

In general, everyone brings frags.
Frags get separated on tables by various categories
You are assigned a group letter when you sign in.
Groups are called one at a time A through last letter
Each person picks one coral
when last letter picks it starts over again with the last letter through A
each person picks one coral
when A comes around it starts over again.
Ours have had double picks after the first couple rounds, that choices is left up to the frag coordinators and usually they get input from the frag swap area volunteers to get a feel for how much "good stuff" is left versus "lets hurry this up so we can get home"

Thanks :), that sounds really awesome and fun!! I can't wait, I'd be happy to volunteer with setup or take down or anything else I can help with.

It's really up to whomever are the coral runners and how many of each type of corals get brought, but in general there are SPS, LPS, and Softies. SPS sometimes is split into sticks and encrusting/plates (sometimes Montipora, acropora/others), Softies often get broken up into Zoas/Palys and "Others", LPS typically on the low end so those stay in one group.

Ahruk - If you look under Forums, Community Discussion, Events and Announcements, click on [2/18/14] 2014 BAR Members Only Frag Swap (Hayward, CA), Felicia posted the general rules and format of a previous swap - you may want to review it - I think it would be the same or very similar to the next swap....

Thanks Mike and thanks Geneva. I wish I had noticed that before. I searched the site with "frag swap" but nothing really came up besides this thread :/

Nah, I think it's just the search function is a little borked :D

That said, it is on the first page in this subforum, so you should be able to actually see the thread.

Back