Our mission

Will's 93g Serenity Cube

Wlachnit

Past President
Last year I got a deal that I just couldn't pass up from a local reefer for a Leemar 30 x 30 x 24h starfire cube, sump and stand. I initially set it up as fish only, but recently decided to rebuild it as a Softie tank with fish that I can't 100% trust in my 300g mixed reef system. I will be open to fish suggestions.

My plan is to have softies with no inverts. I would like this tank to have much lower maintenance needs, especially since this tank is upstairs in my bedroom away from RO and NSW containers. This will also keep my lighting, flow, and dosing requirements way down. I have seen some beautiful softie-themed tanks on some of the other forums and that is what I am going to try to emulate.

Love the idea. It would be a very cool looking tank....but unless someone has a pair of these that have already been weaned onto Mysis/pellets, I don't know that I'm prepared to try that. At least not now...I may have a different view in the future when I'm bored. ;)

My 120g softie tank from back in the day basically had rose anemones with tomato clownfish, dwarf angels, a six-line wrasse, and I want to say a blue damselfish too and whatever mushrooms, colt coral, etc that I could fit in it. Also had a Vortech pump on it which was the only reason I can see doing a pulse mode on with a pump because that thing swayed back and forth like crazy.

softie with orange spot filefish, really cool tank imo.
Just serve it a plate of a millepora every now an then! Fell in love with this fish after seeing it at Steinhart Aquarium and was really disappointed when I learned of their diet.

Thanks. There's one posted today, but it's only a male. And I'm a big fan of having pairs when I can. Besides, my QT tanks are full right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another thought would be to go with pipefish, sea horses. Not sure what else I could to that mix? Would any blennies work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i have kept both before and really love them hahah. unfortunately my orange spot filefish got some sort of internal infection and died, it was full of puss.. gross...
but it led to me getting garden eels for my 28 gallon instead. you can do both, filefish are slow swimmers and wont scare the eels much. id do both but 28 gallon is already heavily overstocked :(

i have kept both before and really love them hahah. unfortunately my orange spot filefish got some sort of internal infection and died, it was full of puss.. gross...
but it led to me getting garden eels for my 28 gallon instead. you can do both, filefish are slow swimmers and wont scare the eels much. id do both but 28 gallon is already heavily overstocked :(
I've never kept pipefish. From what I have read, they need to be fed constantly.

Maybe I will go in another direction and have this be a small predator tank... probably lower maintenance than a bunch of delicate fish such filefish, pipefish, seahorses, etc.

Predator tank isn't lower maintenance either. Lot of food and biowaste with predator tanks leading to more frequent water changes and better equipment. Unless you're going to rally lightly stock.

Back