Our mission

Yanno how they say corners are the weakest points on a tank.......

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
.... well they're right!

Apparently the rounding of a corner only helps a bit

So I came home with some aluminum rivets for my light hood... since I read something about stainless with aluminum could very easily cause a voltage due to the dissimmilar metals, basically leading to corrosion. I was so happy, I decided to put the hood on the washer to start changing screws out for rivets... and I looked over at my tank and noticed this...

pa100073wq2.jpg

... guess that center brace thing failure etc etc... crappy acrylic stuff n stuff :D

Went to look at the other side

pa100077na6.jpg

So even my double upped bracing really didn't do anything as the crack slammed right through that...

As you can see the cracks actually go down into the side panels too... which is what REALLY worried me... the cracks actually were quite larger than the picture suggests, but I decided to toss something ontop of it squeeze it back together to remove the strain on the crack before taking pictures (see this is me taking pictures :D)... well I was going to slap a few pieces of acrylic ontop just for good measure as a temporary brace until I can find a replacement tank, unfortunately I'm out of weld-on and don't feel like driving to Tap at this time of day, by the time I get there they'll be closed...

I used a couple quick grips to squeeze the tank back, unfortunately I didn't have any that could stretch 18" so... 2 will have to work for now and damn the salt spray on them.
pa100078rk1.jpg

At least the back didn't fracture, must be my uber coast to coast overflow that adds the strength :D

Well now to figure out what to do, one option is pull the sump down (55g 4' long) and drain half the water into it, with some of the rocks/corals then half the water should be fine in the other tank to prevent any further splitting... I could put a vortech on it. I am kind of looking around for another tank, but I'd rather not be forced into buying something really expensive, but we'll see. Another option, is to leave it as is, tomorrow get to Tap as soon as they open, and get some weldon to put some serious bracing on (maybe just grab some thick "scrap" pieces and use that as a brace for now until I can take my time to find a replacement tank.

Funny, I would have thought if anything the crappy particle board of the stand would fail before the tank :D

PS. Anyone who has the idea you need acrylic due to earthquake country, there was no earthquake... acrylic breaks too :D

Time to upgrade Mike.... That crack looks pretty scary man... Get some more clamps if you can...

I guess cutting the center was a bad thing huh ;D ..

Yeah, I know, I think my dad has some of those really long pipe clamps I'm gonna see about swinging over really later tonight, unfortunately between picking up the g/f, and swinging by OTA, my night is pretty crowded.

I wouldn't say it was necessarily a BAAAAAD thing, however I maybe should have put the replacement cross bracing in a little sooner. Besides, now it's time for an upgrade, even if I can't afford it :D

If anything though, I'm surprised that whole front didn't crack straight to the bottom and pop off with a big woosh sound (of course I wouldn't have been around when it happened.

Yeah it sucks, but I'm not crying over it, I really was getting tired of the uber scratched acrylic and the fact coraline grew all over it rather than the rocks.

Thanks for the offer, but I have smaller tanks if I desperately need to house stuff... hell I got a 300g rubbermade but I really don't want to have to make up that much water!! I got a 100g preformed pond too I might just use as well, but it'll require some support around the edges (as it's supposed to be buried.

Too bad I don't have that 80g cube tank fixed yet... man talk about sucks for procrastinating :D

If that thing crack all the way, you would be speaking Chinese right now and not typing that long post LOL ;D ..

That 90G cube is great.. Fix the damn thing... I don't think you can put all the coral in that tank in a 90G cube though.

Phong: I think I'll be able to speak a few languages if the whole front cracked off. I would fix that tank, but right now its kind of a low priority :p And yeah I doubt all of my corals would fit in it (well not without stinging the hell out of each other. Besides the fish I have are long swimming fish, and I'd rather not confine them to 2 feet of swimming room, hell I'm not all that jazzed about settling for a 4 foot long tank either. I am a bit pissed I built the aluminum framing for my light hood to fit 6 feet by 18 inches though.

Joyce: Yeah, must be a sign! Unfortunately my dream tank ain't gonna happen now, I'll have to have a "ok I'll settle for it" tank instead :D

The center brace removal probably had something to do with it. The tank was only bowing out an additional 1/8" or so (and yeah I did measure it) at the center which I didn't think was terribly bad over a 6 foot long span, however I guess these tanks are built to minimum specifications to maximize profits. The fact the whole top bracing cracked the way it did really surprised me actually, if anything I would think the stress would be right on the seams of the tank.

was the tank truely leveled? I know when you have acrylic sometime people let this slide.

did you stock by lucky ocean today? good luck with the new tank - and new stand too? have Ian make you one. : )

Arnold; Yeah it was leveled, yes I did stop by Lucky Ocean, it's in the car for tomorrow. I can't let Ian make me a stand, he told me about all the stuff he inhaled when he made the last one :D

Dudley: I might seriously take you up on that offer, I'm going to swing by Ocean Treasures tonight and see if there's anything that's super affordable (and nice), I'll let you know tomorrow morning though.

heheh, anything you don't have in storage? I could use a tank 6-8 feet long, maybe 3-4 feet wide... :D But I don't have a stand for the 180, Dudley's 125 however will fit on my old stand however, with an extra foot to spare :D

Hahahha I have an 8'x30"x30" 8x24"x30" Kinda wish i had an 8x4x2 or 6x4x2... I do have a 4x3x2.. 4 foot 180... I don't think this tank will fi ton any stands you have :)

8x30x30?? Wooo that'd be a nice one, I assume that's your display tank? Or are you just picking up random tanks from everyone under the sun?? :D. 4x3x2 also seems pretty nice too, it's the one case I'd sacrifice a little lateral swimming room because they have the front to back swimming room too, and yeah I'd build a stand for that :D

They're acrylic or glass? I might have to talk to you some more :D

Man I totally missed on contributing to the reefkeeping magazine...

"Top Ten Moments When You Knew It Was Time To Upgrade To A Larger Aquarium..."

I totally would have gotten the top 3 with my "when the corners fractured on my acrylic tank.. ":D

Back