Reef nutrition

Brandie's 210 Upgrade

So what happened between page 20 and page 1? Page one you were screaming MOAR TANGS, now you have 1? (If I'm reading that right that you already have the other 4 tangs?)

That said what's the foot print of the tank again? 8 x 2 or 6' x 30" ? Personally I'd be happy with the tang list as is if they are all getting along with each other with their hierarchy of dominance, last thing you want is to throw in a curve ball. Just something to think about, but any tank I have will have a rabbit fish for algae control, just something I always need :D

So what happened between page 20 and page 1? Page one you were screaming MOAR TANGS, now you have 1? (If I'm reading that right that you already have the other 4 tangs?)

That said what's the foot print of the tank again? 8 x 2 or 6' x 30" ? Personally I'd be happy with the tang list as is if they are all getting along with each other with their hierarchy of dominance, last thing you want is to throw in a curve ball. Just something to think about, but any tank I have will have a rabbit fish for algae control, just something I always need :D

Just one word: Achilles! :) Erin (who probably wants to kill me by now, and I don't blame him if he does) has been holding a gorgeous Achilles tang for me ever since we did the tank tour in his neck of the woods. I told him I'd buy it off of him, and at the time, had every intention of having this bad boy up and going by October. Shit happens.

It's a 6 x 2 x 2. I have four tangs right now in the 90 (gulp) and they all do pretty well together. The nastiest one is my yellow, but since the Achilles is pretty good size and everything is different in the 210, I hope that the aggression is minimal. I want more tangs, believe me I do, but I don't want to overstock my tank again. I can't upgrade now until we are in a house..... ;)

And the rabbits are cool, but their tendency to pick at corals makes me nervous. I hate rehoming fish. Hate it, and I don't want to get a gorgrous rabbit only to have to rehome it because it's picking on what little corals I plan on having...

and I don't need more fish!! Trying to keep it on the slim side so I don't need to upgrade next year :p

Besides, if I had to get another fish, I think I'd rather have a mag. foxface. I think those are very pretty, but they get at least a foot big?! O.O that's a little big....

**Edit** Hrm. They don't get as big as I thought. Maybe adding a foxface as well as an Achilles will help spread the aggression....

Bah. Dammit Mike!! :p

ACHILLES!!!!!!
Achilles-Brad-Pitt-008.jpg

Wow, I go on vacation a bit and miss a ton of progress. COOL!!!
Bummer about the bad luck though.

Check valves?? IMO: Avoid.

Tend to agree with Erin that it seems like a lot of fish.
Fine for a while of course, but when all those fish, especially tangs, get big....
You have a good size tank, but far from huge.

+1 on a Mag. Foxface. I have one.
Note that if one tang is dominant, the others may lose color, even if slightly different species.

Wow, I go on vacation a bit and miss a ton of progress. COOL!!!
Bummer about the bad luck though.

Check valves?? IMO: Avoid.

Tend to agree with Erin that it seems like a lot of fish.
Fine for a while of course, but when all those fish, especially tangs, get big....
You have a good size tank, but far from huge.

+1 on a Mag. Foxface. I have one.
Note that if one tang is dominant, the others may lose color, even if slightly different species.

But that's why I have blenny/ goby bottles ;) places for them to hide.

But that's also why I decided against more tangs. I'm hoping that by the time the tangs need bigger housing, I'll be able to put up a monster of a tank ;) my only concession on that part was the Achilles. :)

I do have a big sump for a big fuge and a higher rated skimmer for that reason. So maybe I have to do bi weekly water changes? Meh. I love my fish! I'll also have some display Marcos in the DT for nutrient export as well as grazing material. I already have 90% of the fish anyways. :) that's why my 90 looks so busy haha.

Getting so close!! Can't wait to get home and test the water again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that's why I have blenny/ goby bottles ;) places for them to hide.

But that's also why I decided against more tangs. I'm hoping that by the time the tangs need bigger housing, I'll be able to put up a monster of a tank ;) my only concession on that part was the Achilles. :)

I do have a big sump for a big fuge and a higher rated skimmer for that reason. So maybe I have to do bi weekly water changes? Meh. I love my fish! I'll also have some display Marcos in the DT for nutrient export as well as grazing material. I already have 90% of the fish anyways. :) that's why my 90 looks so busy haha.

Getting so close!! Can't wait to get home and test the water again!!

What are display Marcos?
I love fish as well, but I hate algae more than I love fish.
Have you a favorite algae eater?

As much as I like the use of a refugium for nutrient export, I don't think you are going to reap the benefits that you anticipate. It's not big enough. On your 210 DT, I think a 125gal refugium would be more in order. I know you don't have room for such a beast, so regular water changes will be your best friend.
I want your fish and corals to be as happy as they can be, too.
:)

As much as I like the use of a refugium for nutrient export, I don't think you are going to reap the benefits that you anticipate. It's not big enough. On your 210 DT, I think a 125gal refugium would be more in order. I know you don't have room for such a beast, so regular water changes will be your best friend.
Perhaps an Algae Scrubber is in order. :p

What are display Marcos?
I love fish as well, but I hate algae more than I love fish.
Have you a favorite algae eater?

Sorry, meant macro and not Marco. I was hoping to have some ochtodes and dragons tongue for macro algae in the DT.

Blennies and tangs are pretty good with algae, but everyone keeps telling me about fix faces and rabbit fish. Thinking of trying a mag fox face myself.

You're right, I won't get the full benefits, but my sump wasn't set up without some thought process. Both Matt F. and Gresh have had a hand at setting up sumps/fuges for stores with heavy bioload and decent nutrient export in mind. They seem to work well for the heavy bioloads that Matt M keeps at AE, so I wanted to try it on my own. And of course, there is no better solution to pollution than dilution, and I'm sure that water changes will still be my best friend haha. Corals should like the bioload as well, seeing how LPS, softies and gorgs tend to do better with more nutrient rich water. There will be no SPS for me!! ;) they are pretty but too needy IMO.

And all I could fit was a 100 gallon sump. I need to have a better stand before adding a bigger tank. :) but that is a future project. ^.^

Perhaps an Algae Scrubber is in order. :p

Perhaps. I know what the idea is but have no idea how to incorporate. Would need to do more research first. Unless I understand it 110% I'll be confused and probably screw something up LOL!! But I have heard great things about them :)

THE DAY IS HERE!!!!! :D

Tested the water today:
1517669_3887794929914_319667237_n.jpg

And I saw that beautiful blue that I have been waiting for for almost a YEAR!!! And I tested three times, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke

And then, I added some Microbacter7, just in case!

And NOW:
1497660_3887919413026_95639187_n.jpg

My first batch of fish! I didn't follow my batch list, but decided to take the fish out of my pathetic 10 gallon and put them in the 210 first. I'll see how everything goes and I will try to catch my firefish (yuck) so I can add them at a little bit of a later date.

I'll post pics later! :D

Back