Kessil

Anathema's 155G

picssmall2-jpg.3619

Those are VERY generous frags! (J/K...Thanks for the montis. I need to get my butt over to SF soon...)

No actually I meant 6th Ave... that's where Anathema told me he gets all his coral... Thanks for the tip

:D

I only wish that I'd paid $20 each for my corals. Trust me, I'd be bragging about how little I'd spent if I'd been able to do that. I go there often, especially since it's the only store in SF that sells nsw.

I tried Brawndo. I ran out of burrito coverings.

My fish like burritos, they live in the mission!

It feels like you want to start a conversation about ethical reefkeeping?

Since I started keeping a tank in SF there has been exactly one ethical store that upheld the image reefers like to pretend they have. Green Marine got almost 100% of my coral budget and still went out of business. There are a handful of solo operators selling on CL that have integrity. No stores.

Last edited:
Lol, this hobby is definitely a slippery slope as far as ethics... To start with we have fish in a small glass cage.... then there's everything else from shipping from thousands of miles away, caught by unknown means, etc...

I think it starts with each of us trying to keep a healthy tank and spreading good info and habits about resposible/good reef husbandry....

I do miss Jim and Green Marine...

Ethical? You mean like the store that says you should have 1 snail per gallon or something along those lines? Is it really unethical to give really old (wrong) outdated info and not be kept up to date? As to the small cage bit, eh, I have opposable thumbs, I'm allowed to enforce my will upon nature and imprison any creature I want that is beneath me! Probably saved their life in the long run :D

Green Marine was good, but I would really like to know what made him think that kind of business model would be sustainable. Even if he didn't pay rent on the place, electricity alone would require a fairly good size of turn over I would think.

I just don't trust 6th ave to actually be selling you nsw. That's all. Wouldn't out it past them to be mixing up tap water w instant ocean If it was cheaper or easier

Ok, now I'm really confused.

You recommend a pet club over 6th? Why would I drive out of the city to patronize a store that treats their fish worse, is a chain, and charges more per gallon?

I used to live near that store, and granted I haven't been there in over a decade but I'd always drive right past it to go to fish for you.

Not recommending either at all, or using nsw for that matter, not my thing. Had to buy a cheap top off tank so I was there and saw it, knew you have trouble finding sometimes so figured id let you know

Overdue for a snapshot and the glass is clean today.

Recently spotted red bugs. Other than that tank is happy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 275
Back