Cali Kid Corals

130g custom build

Finally another update! The canopy is complete! I decided to sand off all the original finish and re do it. Much happier with the results.

Also, I ordered a skimmer. Decided to get the Skimz Monzter SM203 DC internal. It is rated for overkill but you can both dial the water flow and air flow so I'll be set. In the mean time the tank has been cycling so I expect to start introducing livestock by the end of feb at this rate.

Here are some photos of the canopy build

Routed spots for my AI lights:
QGgKX61.jpg

Very happy with re-doing the finish.
I9Ivg30.jpg

Complete canopy:
The plywood insert had lots of scratches on it from the big box store it was sourced from. Decided not to sand too deep to avoid breaking through the veneer.
LhD2HCe.jpg

puppy tax
fZCE91b.jpg

Quick update!
The Skimz Monzter SM203 DC has been up and running for almost a week now, and boy does it live up to it's name. Ill have a video up of the action soon if anyone is interested in that brand. It's currently running at half power on the pump and the gate is wide open and its still overflowing. I suspect that the water level may be a tad high in the sump so ill try and see what happens if i elevate it. All i can say is i'll be able to pack this tank to the gills without having to upgrade skimmers. There's even enough room to fit a small size biopellet reactor next to the skimmer intake if i want to!

The skimmer itself is very solidly built. The skimmer body is made of thick acrylic making the curve 9 feels like a soda bottle compared to this thing.

gDwEAXe.jpg

wOEPxiV.jpg

Well, looks like i have a problem with the skimmer in the 40g. Not looking so hot for Bubble Magus. My curve 5 set off the circuit breakers and shut down the whole system. Looks like some sort of short in the pump. Ill pull it out this weekend and try and see what the hell is going on. I've only had the skimmer running for 1.5 years.

Looks like more motivation to move livestock into new system faster!

Must have been a good jolt of power to trip the circuit-breakers!
You can test the pump itself inside a plastic bucket and using a GFCI, if the pump is the culprit, it will trip the GFCI

Looking pretty slick.
Suggest you paint the pulley hardware white though.
Maybe even use coated cable. (White plastic)
Maybe in the future, that's definitly not a priority. With the canopy in at its normal level, the two carrabiners on the right are removed so it's much cleaner. The mounts themselves on the ceiling are actually for swings. They have an integrated grooved wheel with bearings so it reduces the need for clips and pulleys hooked to eye bolts.

So, i managed to get much of the electrical done this weekend. However with the cabinet in its place, i realize now that I am in a bit of a pickle. I now have to figure out how i will be squeezing in a ladder to get to the canopy control cables to raise and lower it. Hopefully ill only need to do this occasionally. More to come!

RQvPLdx.jpg

The Hydrofill ATO by innovative marine that came from my wife's aquarium seems to have failed. constantly thinks that water level is low, despite an overnight soak in vinegar - funny thing about that soak, the sensors worked fine in the higher ionic concentration of the vinegar.

Looks like we'll be using the trusty avast marine ATO.

Back