got ethical husbandry?

Red Sea Reefer 450 Build

Hello BAR,
I recently have become addicted to the life/hobby and have upgraded to the 450. Still learning a lot and picking up coral/live stock along the way but figured I would get a thread going and share the progression of my 450.

The parts I have so far are as follows:

- Red Sea reefer 450 (black)
- Vectra M1 return pump
- Nyos Quantum 120
- MP40wQD
- Reef Rock 2.1
- BRS Dual Reactor
- Kessil AP700
- Tunze ATO
- Apex System Controller (new wifi one)

So this is my 1st shot at aquascaping and it took some time, just like most things, you like some parts and you question others so please let me know what you all think :)

20160710_163849_zpscfsa3gyd.jpg

I will try and keep it updated as I progress!

Yay red sea reefer build.

Are you doing manifold off the M1 to run your reactor? I'm also thinking about using the M1 but not sure if it is enough to run both return and reactors + fuge.

What about fuge, are you going to keep the ATO or converting it to fuge?

Yay red sea reefer build.

Are you doing manifold off the M1 to run your reactor? I'm also thinking about using the M1 but not sure if it is enough to run both return and reactors + fuge.

What about fuge, are you going to keep the ATO or converting it to fuge?

I built a manifold with 3 total valves to isolate/tune each drop off the manifold if needed, at this point the pump is just running the tank. I also got a check valve for the system to prevent any back feeding from the tank when the pump is off. I just have marine blocks in the sump and will be doing something more in the sump later after I recover $$ from this :D. I dumped the factory ATO tank/float and used the float for my 55 gallon saltwater storage tank. The reactor is running off its own ML1200 pump.

Ohhh, a Red Sea build! One of my favorite biotopes! Can't wait to see how it is stocked!

that makes 2 of us LOL.. I have seen so many amazing tanks, you all do such a great job taking care of everything in the tanks, I can only hope to do as well!

Post some pic of your manifold setup when you get a chance :) I'm also interested in how you transition from M1-> hard pvc -> return line

Will do, I had 2 versions of the manifold but ended up going to a more basic version of it but I ran clear tubing from the barb on the manifold down to the pump to remove any sound or harmonics that may come from the pump. I have to say that pump is quite as can be and is very impressive. The complete tank is dead quite and its hard to tell its even running.

I just got a big ammonia spike (4.1 PPM) today so I am hoping the tank handles that load and I can move forward. I am having a heck of a time with the sand not settling, as you can see in that photo. Maybe a mistake on my part not to wash it but I was under the impression that Ocean Direct live sand was good to go out of the bag.. not sure washing it would have been good considering its supposed to be a "live sand"

Yeah washing would defeat the purpose of "live" sand. But imo, live sand could carry as many bad stuff as good stuff. What if you have a bobbit worm egg somewhere in there ;p

I like the cable raceway. Very clean.

Is that 3/4" pipe for your manifold?

What are you planning to use the other two output for? Why not gate valve fine adjustment?

Man that sump look so much cleaner w/o the ATO tank. But I want to have a fuge / pod hotel, so torn.

Thanks you all for the compliments.

Yes the manifold is 3/4. The discharge of the pump is 3/4 so I did not want to loose velocity or have an issue over coming the head pressure by stepping up the pipe size. I was also concerned with the possibility of noise and turbulent flow due to having 4 short radius elbows in the loop. Guess I put to much thought into some of it and not enough into other parts o_O

I really have no for sure plans other then getting a bigger pump later (if needed) to run the reactor and whatever else ends up is needed. Id rather have the option to expand the water system then be stuck.

You guys are 100% right on the gate valves being much more accurate in dialing the flow down and they tend to be much quitter in the process. I didn't think that far ahead I guess.

I am looking for stock to fill this tank so if anyone has items they are willing to part with please let me know. We are looking for anything with vibrant colors. Also looking for a pair of (younger) maroon lighting clowns

I like the cable raceway. Very clean.

Is that 3/4" pipe for your manifold?

What are you planning to use the other two output for? Why not gate valve fine adjustment?

Man that sump look so much cleaner w/o the ATO tank. But I want to have a fuge / pod hotel, so torn.

I was thinking about putting a refugium in the base of the sump. My thought using a small beta tank so if needed I could pull it out of the sump as a unit.

A UK company makes this but I saw this online and its another possibility as it divides the sump up allowing a section for the refugium and a skimmer/reactor section. I have been unable to find a US company that carries this though

http://www.reefdreams.co.uk/acatalog/Reefer-Baffle-Kits.html

350Baffle1.jpg

I have seen the divider done in Dan's reef

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLvqCW0Nci5hz1lopEDzf8g

But for some reason he ended up taking back out. https://oceanboxdesigns.com/ can custom make one for you $$$

Have you seen build where people drill the stock ATO for overflow and use that for fuge? I like the fact that it add a little water volume and you can keep deep sand bed / mud in there too if you want.

what did he use as a media for that system? looks like round 1/2 inch tubes made of marine block? I have not seen anyone do the ATO but i did think about doing that, it just seems kinda small to use but free at this point might be all that matters :D

btw his tank is very nicely done

Umm that has got to be the BEST aquascape I've ever seen a new hobbyist make. You deserve a prize lol

thank you! the main bridge for sure was trial and lots of error! LOL

my wife is a breast cancer survivor so we both liked the rock to the right of the tank thats standing up kinda looks like the cancer ribbon ;)

Back