Our mission

Where should I go this weekend?

I just moved to the area (North Bay, San Rafael) and have been having a hard time finding any decent local stores. Before I just order everything online, I would love to drive around this weekend and check out some good LFSs.

I have a 12 gallon nano that I will be setting up to tide me over until I can start something a little bigger and it would be great if this weekend I could pick up some rock, sand, and water to get it going. All that made the move is the tank, lighting, and mechanical equipment.

I don't mind driving some distance to see a couple decent stores and to get a good price on preferably some live rock. Dry would be ok since I'm not in a hurry to get any livestock, I just want to get some stuff cycling!

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cal reef is a good store!

Also check out Aquatic Collection and Neptune Aquatics.

Along the peninsula, there is Ultimate Aquarium and 1 other I can't remember the name of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I don't think I want to lap the whole bay this weekend so maybe I'll stick to east bay. There doesn't appear to be anything north of the city or near me!

Go to Fish Pros (renamed Aqua Terra) in Cotati, that's my LFS. Ceasar's Tropical Fish in Santa Rosa is hit & miss. The Pet Arcade in San Rafael is a great mom & pop shop for basics. I go there just to support them. Near El Cerrito del Norte BART & Target in San Pablo is Tropical Fish World, somewhat hit & miss, but I like dealing with the owner and I often get a good deal from him. If you have any interest in freshwater systems visit Albany Aquarium in Albany, but they started carrying some saltwater recently which might be worth a look. That's about it. In San Francisco proper, Lucky Ocean Aquarium on Balboa is worth a visit, he gets in ORA fishes and has a good selection of dry goods. One mile away is 6th avenue aquarium, great prices for dry goods, but I wouldn't recommend the livestock; however, it's worth checking out the prices on the fishes to get an idea of the going market rate. Once in a blue moon I buy a fish from them if it just came in from the wholesalers and hasn't been released from the shipping bag. Probably 70% survival rate, which is more an indictment on the wholesaler than the retailer. Ocean Aquarium on Cedar (between Van Ness & Polk) is THE place for freshwater followed by Aquaforest on Filmore in Japantown.

Last edited:
The Pet Arcade is closed :( I actually live quite close to there so it would have been ideal.
Bummer, they were good people :( Last time I drove past them I saw the building was up for sale, but the shop still looked operational.

I edited my previous post with more recommendations, you should read it again.

All the other places people have mentioned are near San Jose. I guess they don't realize you're in Marin.

Bummer, they were good people :( Last time I drove past them I saw the building was up for sale, but the shop still looked operational.

I edited my previous post with more recommendations, you should read it again.

All the other places people have mentioned are near San Jose. I guess they don't realize you're in Marin.
Yeah, she's quite a bit closer to you than us south bayers.

In East Bay is also Diablo Corals (Concord), All About Fish (Pleasant Hill, I think), Concord Aquarium (very small - I think still in business), Aquarium Concepts (Dublin). I never see the last 3 mentioned here but if you want to make it an East Bay tour there are options. I have seen LR in the past at all but Concord Aq.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Aquarium Concepts. I actually got my Indonesian LR from there. Got an email saying they were having a 15% sale on most of the store except certain manufactures for this weekend (labor day).

Thank you for your help Benaminh.

I just grabbed a tub of water, sand, and rock from an unfortunate craigslister that had a tank leak in Newark. So now I'm going to check out California reef and then aquatic collection before hitting lowes and then heading home.

I had ruled out Fish Pros because of all the scary floating dead pictures on Yelp but maybe I'll give them a look in the future!

Last edited:
Thank you for your help Benaminh.

I just grabbed a tub of water, sand, and rock from an unfortunate craigslister that had a tank leak in Newark. So now I'm going to check out California reef and then aquatic collection before hitting lowes and then heading home.

I had ruled out Fish Pros because of all the scary floating dead pictures on Yelp but maybe I'll give them a look in the future!
Fish pros is under new ownership. Dudes name is Hari and it's done a full 180 turn around. They have a great selection of fish and also try cesars in Santa Rosa I know this post is a few months old.

Go to Fish Pros (renamed Aqua Terra) in Cotati, that's my LFS. Ceasar's Tropical Fish in Santa Rosa is hit & miss. The Pet Arcade in San Rafael is a great mom & pop shop for basics. I go there just to support them. Near El Cerrito del Norte BART & Target in San Pablo is Tropical Fish World, somewhat hit & miss, but I like dealing with the owner and I often get a good deal from him. If you have any interest in freshwater systems visit Albany Aquarium in Albany, but they started carrying some saltwater recently which might be worth a look. That's about it. In San Francisco proper, Lucky Ocean Aquarium on Balboa is worth a visit, he gets in ORA fishes and has a good selection of dry goods. One mile away is 6th avenue aquarium, great prices for dry goods, but I wouldn't recommend the livestock; however, it's worth checking out the prices on the fishes to get an idea of the going market rate. Once in a blue moon I buy a fish from them if it just came in from the wholesalers and hasn't been released from the shipping bag. Probably 70% survival rate, which is more an indictment on the wholesaler than the retailer. Ocean Aquarium on Cedar (between Van Ness & Polk) is THE place for freshwater followed by Aquaforest on Filmore in Japantown.
Pet arcade closed down unfortunately

Back