Neptune Aquatics

Dosing hydrogen peroxide

From what I have read it attacks the lower forms of algae first. The company doesn't think it will harm macro algae in a refugium. However, some people say it has weakened their cheato. I would be careful when using the higher dosage i.e. twice per week. Haven't read anything when using the maintained dosage i.e. every 2 weeks. I am considering dosing my second aquarium which only has the film on the glass and gets little round green dots that takes some time to remove. It's an acrylic tank so I can't use a razor blade and the plastic doesn't do the job. I don't know if the maintenance dose will work, but for the amount used, 1ml per 10 gal., it is inexpensive. For my 200 gal system this only 40 ml per month so an 8 oz. boltle would last about 6 months. Cheap to get a prstine aquarium, and less work. I hardly touch the aquarium l'm dosing.

Been dealing with this HA issue in my tank for over a year now. Havent had the time to take care of it. With a combination of declining lack of interest and poor reef husbandry, the HA has grown rampant.

Turbo snails bought from all over the bay avoids it. Long hair and short hair on the algae makes no difference. Dosing NoPOx has little to no change. GFO reactor cant say it works because little bits of HA jams up the filter pad. Skimmer is set on wet.

Dipped Hydrogen peroxide on a small rock with Rastas before. Wiped all sorta of HA out completely. It was a 50/50 mix. Cant really recall. Also prevented all HA from going on it completely for months now. Rastas were extremely irritated. Took a couple of days to open back up.

Tried dosing the tank before with hydrogen proxide, but little to no results. Direct injection with syringe has little to no effect.

I have a 28gallon by the way. Performed a 7 gallon water change followed by a black out yesterday. Its only day 2 now with little to no change. Maybe something different will come tomorrow?

Hopefully this gives an insight to all.

Would love to see you try the vibrant product we've been talking about, with photo documentation.

...not to make you a guinea pig or anything.

It's already worked for me. Started using it 11-23-16. Dosed 1ml per 10 gal. In my case 14ml per dose. Did this 2 times per week for a total of 9 doses. Ended on 12-21-16. Killed algae that nothing would eat, snails and urchin, and all bubble is gone. Do have some emerald crabs, but they didn't seem to be eating it, or at least very fast. Very little film on glass and aquarium is crystal clear.
At my age I am not good with tech. so I don't how to send pictures. However, if anyone wants to come over to my aquariums I would be more than happy to do so. Call me at 510-655-3066.

Dick Flanagan

I believe you Dick. If I need to I'll use it. So far so good. Have a little bit of leafy algae and some brown filmy stuff. Nothing too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's primarily just bacteria then why not give it a shot. I've had minor outbreaks that I've used my bottled bacteria on and it seemed to help.

If it's primarily just bacteria then why not give it a shot. I've had minor outbreaks that I've used my bottled bacteria on and it seemed to help.

If it's just bacteria, why not try using bio-pellets for nitrate and phosphate export? Less maintenance and no dosing. Just have to refill bio-pellets every 6-8 weeks once they're depleted. Almost a set it and forget it thing.

Bio-pellets just add feed existing bacteria, which if used correctly is a good thing. Vibtrant is completely different. It has different strains of bacteria that both remove nutrients and actually eat the algae. It's bacteria is also short lived and does not multiply.

Dick Flanagan

No. You don't have to change anything. Best to dose right after you do a water change.
I should point out that people that had a serious algae infestation did experience temporary higer NO3 and NO4 due to all the nutrients being released. This will resolve itself shortly and will not effect the animals. The other thing some saw was an out break of cyno. Again probably caused by excess nutrients. Being a very low life form needing low nutrient levels to live it may be the last to die off. I didn't have any.
My aim in doing these posting is not to promote Vibrant. My aim is to let people who have tried everything but are still having a bad aquarium experience and even thinking of giving up a life line or last resort. It has worked for me, but my not for everyone. However if anyone does try, please follow the dosing schedule that has shown promising results. Some of those posting on the reef2reef site who were not successful didn't dose correctly or didn't research enough to understand how the product works i.e. Kills the lesser algae and moves on to the next one. If one has a number of different strains or more robust strains it will take longer, but you should see gradual improvement. My success was fast others take longer.

Dick Flanagan

Yes the company started early on when these type questions were being asked, especially because of safety concerns, that the bacteria they use only live a few days. You can verify this by reading the postings or call the company. This is probably why a maintenance dose has to be administered every few works.

Dick Flanagan

No. You don't have to change anything. Best to dose right after you do a water change.
I should point out that people that had a serious algae infestation did experience temporary higer NO3 and NO4 due to all the nutrients being released. This will resolve itself shortly and will not effect the animals. The other thing some saw was an out break of cyno. Again probably caused by excess nutrients. Being a very low life form needing low nutrient levels to live it may be the last to die off. I didn't have any.
My aim in doing these posting is not to promote Vibrant. My aim is to let people who have tried everything but are still having a bad aquarium experience and even thinking of giving up a life line or last resort. It has worked for me, but my not for everyone. However if anyone does try, please follow the dosing schedule that has shown promising results. Some of those posting on the reef2reef site who were not successful didn't dose correctly or didn't research enough to understand how the product works i.e. Kills the lesser algae and moves on to the next one. If one has a number of different strains or more robust strains it will take longer, but you should see gradual improvement. My success was fast others take longer.

Dick Flanagan

Nutrients have to go somewhere especially if the bacteria is short lived and die off (they'll just be re-released into the water otherwise). Does the product expect the dead bacteria to be skimmed out or exported through a water change?

The company says the nutrients go thru same process as food. Coral, snails, filters,skimmer,macro algae, all consume it. One thing to watch is that after the algae is gone and if you want to continue to dose your NO3 and NO4 my drop too low. I'm not a chemists nor biologist so you might want to read the thread. I believe it stars on 10-23-16. It's also interesting to see the pictures of some the bloggers aquariums and how bad they were before and then after using vibrant.
Forgot to mention that those with a lot of algae were cleaning their filter socks daily. Another way the nitrients are exported.

So if the bacteria is short lived doesn't it make the bottle of vibrant need to be super fresh.

So if the bacteria is short lived doesn't it make the bottle of vibrant need to be super fresh.

There are lots of bottled bacteria that last for awhile. Like the cycling aids, and zeovit bacteria lasts for 3 months once opened. They have a way to keep it hibernating I guess.

Company says the bacteria stays in a dormant stage and is only activated when dosed into the aquarium. I believe they stated it will last for over a year and does not need to be refrigerated.

Dick Flanagan

Back