Neptune Aquatics

Other Hobbies

Those are really good. Someone likes burl veneer. Do those have under drawer drawer slides or do they slide on wood? You may want to recess the hardware from the drawer pulls so that it doesn't catch on the things that you put in the drawers. Did you bend the drawer fronts or cut them from solid material? That is some good woodworking though. Let me know if you need a job. I'd hire you to help me build staircases.

Those are really good. Someone likes burl veneer. Do those have under drawer drawer slides or do they slide on wood? You may want to recess the hardware from the drawer pulls so that it doesn't catch on the things that you put in the drawers. Did you bend the drawer fronts or cut them from solid material? That is some good woodworking though. Let me know if you need a job. I'd hire you to help me build staircases.
Haha...thanks! Yeah, I really got into veneering a few years ago and have a vacuum veneer press. the fronts are pommele maple and top is camphor burl. For the drawer fronts, I actually made a form out of MDF and veneered five 1/8 thick ply over the form in the press to get the curved fronts. The drawers are flush fronts and slide on wood, which was an absolute bitch. Good idea on the back of the pulls.

Lots of hobbies like most people, but I always focus and obsess on only a few at a time.

Photography:
  • Producer / creative for commercials on the stills (my work has been on national TV, like a recent one with Land Rover)
  • Fashion creative director: worked with companies to find the right photographers, creative styles, and models to kick start their visual approach
  • Wedding and event photographer
  • Portrait photographer
  • Commercial and product photography (mostly auto, fashion, event coverage, and location/travel)
  • More of my work: http://artchang.com
Tech:
Sports:
  • Less of a hobby, but I workout every day. Different things: strength, HIIT, and other fun things to push my body. I'm glad I can focus on something that is more or less making me healthier (in most cases).
  • Snowboarding in the wintertime. I am ALWAYS going to Tahoe (EPIC PASS!). If anyone wants to go shred, let me know. I go every other week during weekdays, and some weekends. Hope the auto fish feeder works well ;) https://www.instagram.com/p/BPTrAKWAF9k/?taken-by=artchang
  • Tennis: I played open tournaments as a kid, then just for fun as an adult. I picked it back up recently and shaking off the rust.
  • Basketball: I used to play religiously. I almost tore my Achilles tendon 2 years back, and I'm still on the mend.

what smoker do you have? I'm on a smoking comp team, been pretty into it the last few years.

And hows the bean ferment coming along? I'd love to do that myself :)

Nothing special on the smoker. Just a Weber Bullet, 18”.

Haven’t started the soybeans yet. Got sidetracked with home repairs and painting for the last several months.

Now I want a Land Rover :)

Oh nice! That means my photos worked on getting you to want one ;) They're really sweet cars. The one I drove around Iceland for them was a $250K Range Rover Vogue, specc'd out. Massage chairs, heated steering wheel, variable heights, etc. It could even be submerged under 36" of water with no problem (well above the door's bottom!). Not that I tried it...

I'm spoiled, can't go back to Iceland anymore without that car.

Yeah they are nice cars, but be ready to bleed $$$$ upon maintenance services and repair.

Yep! And they're not especially well known to not need a lot of service.

Haven’t started the soybeans yet. Got sidetracked with home repairs and painting for the last several months.
Norm, the bullet? I recently got a temp control fan for my 22" smokey mountain. Got the bbq guru digiQ. Brisket has been my favorite too.

Ian!

Cool, post some pics of the setup!

I’m low tech on the temp control.

Start out with a full grate of Kingsford. Jam in about 4 small chunks of hardwood or lump.

Start about 10 briquets in a chimney. Dump those in the center on top of the other charcoal when they ash over after 30 minutes.

Top vent full open. 1 bottom vent fully closed. The other 2 just past halfway closed.

I use a large pan of sand/gravel for heat ballast instead of a water pan. Digital thermometer probe in a fitting drilled into the top of the smoker.

Let the temps ramp up to about 180. Then close one of the bottom vents a bit more to ease up to about 240.

Put in the shoulder or brisket and go away.

That setup is good for about 13 hours at 250. I might have to knock down some ash at about 10 hours in.

Ian!

Cool, post some pics of the setup!

I’m low tech on the temp control.

Start out with a full grate of Kingsford. Jam in about 4 small chunks of hardwood or lump.

Start about 10 briquets in a chimney. Dump those in the center on top of the other charcoal when they ash over after 30 minutes.

Top vent full open. 1 bottom vent fully closed. The other 2 just past halfway closed.

I use a large pan of sand/gravel for heat ballast instead of a water pan. Digital thermometer probe in a fitting drilled into the top of the smoker.

Let the temps ramp up to about 180. Then close one of the bottom vents a bit more to ease up to about 240.

Put in the shoulder or brisket and go away.

That setup is good for about 13 hours at 250. I might have to knock down some ash at about 10 hours in.
Making me hungry!!

Norm it actually looks a lot like an aquarium controller. It's hooked up to a little computer fan that has an adapter that goes into one of the vents. All other vents are closed.

I've had some incredible BBQ from those bullets, heck, even off the Kettles. I've done some really good smoking on the Kettle.

I was on a comp team this year. We placed mid pack at the KCBS contest at the Garlic Fest. Im not super into comp though, the matching a certain flavor profile isn't my cup of tea.

Back