Our mission

The Money Pit (Bruce S. #2)

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
I figured I'd start the journal now even though the tank itself hasn't arrived yet. It was supposed to be here a few weeks ago, but now it's looking like it will arrive mid to late September. Everything's been sitting in place waiting for the tank.

The tank is a 30 X 30 X 30 half-inch sapphire glass tank. It has a Synergy Ghost Overflow. The stand was built by our sponsor Neptune Aquatics. The plan for this tank is for an SPS dominant tank with mostly wrasses and some shoaling fish.

Here's the current equipment list ready to get to work:

Main Equipment List:
  • 30 X 30 X 24 Half-Inch Starphire
  • 24" Ati Eight Bulb Fixture with two Reefbright XHO LED strips.
    6X Blue Plus and 2X Coral Plus
  • Emerald Trigger 26 Sump (Twenty Gallons)
  • Red Sea 5500 DC controllable return pump
  • Apex Classic w/ EB8, PM1, PM2 , DoS, PMK (Par).
  • One Maxspect Gyre 150
  • One Maxspect Gyre 130
  • Knop-C calcium reactor
  • Carbon Doser regulator
  • Trigger Emerald ATO resevoir
  • Two Hydor Heaters
  • Reef Octopus 110 Int Skimmer
  • DJ eight port power switcher
  • 90# Live Aragonite sand
    IMG_4930.JPG
    IMG_4931.JPG
    IMG_4933.JPG
    IMG_4934.JPG
    IMG_4935.JPG

Last edited:
This looks like an awesome build. Almost made me want to setup ano.... oh wait, no it didn't! I'll enjoy watching your progress!

Looks like a great build in the works.

What are you going to use the 3 head doser for?

Was wondering if someone would notice that. Not sure at this point. I had picked up the doser with plans to use it on this tank and then reconsidered and decided to try the calc reactor. My current plan is probably to set up the doser while the tank is slowly being filled with SPS and then switch over to the reactor once there's more of a load in there. That will give me time to find a pump and regulator for the reactor.

Nice new build Bruce. Did you build the electronics box or get it from someone? Would be interesting to read/see more details about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nice new build Bruce. Did you build the electronics box or get it from someone? Would be interesting to read/see more details about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The box itself is a Pottery Barn cube. I use another matching one by my couch as an end table, but I built the board inside!!!!

Reactions: JVU
Looks great!

How are you going to plumb the overflow box? Are you going to leave it as is? With just the bulkheads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No clue. Never plumbed a tank before. My other tanks are Innovative Marines. Luckily, @Coral reefer will be making thoise big decisions.
Well figure that out before going too much further, the difference between a quiet overflow and one that is slurping and gurgling is night and day and something you really want to get dialed in first.

You definitely can put in a Bean Animal overflow in there, but you'd want some extra parts on the output side.

Back