got ethical husbandry?

Mike's newest disaster...

You mention dryer is gas. Is there a 30A plug back there unused by any chance?
Sometimes builders put in both.

I replaced single-switch breakers with dual for mine. No problem.

Not sure how I can imagine wood + steel. I mean I get the idea of bolting to essentially "legs" but you still need to support it from under (which is where a lot of bulk comes from).

Maybe I just need to learn to weld, or hit up the fine welders of the club to tack together a few things for me :D

You mention dryer is gas. Is there a 30A plug back there unused by any chance?
Sometimes builders put in both.
Nope, no 30amp outlet ever was there, I know this because I put the washer/dryer there as originally it was actually on the porch off the back (how that existing set still worked is beyond me, there was more rust in it than actual washer & dryer)

I'm doing the slow process of transitioning from all the old knob and tube wiring to new wiring. Some of it is downright scary, in the wall on the back of the house when I pulled the drywall away I found a little area where there was a rat nest (rat was long gone) but apparently it chewed the insulation right off the wire so there was a live bare wire in there when I was grabbing at stuff and pulling. But as I do a complete gut of rooms I simply put in new junction boxes, lights, and make sure all old wires in the wall are dead (which is the real pain because main of them share neutrals with other circuits)

But yeah seems like switching to dual switches is almost a no brainer.to get more circuits off the sub-panel.

Yeah that's what I'm going to use... well the 20 amp version.

Don't really feel like swapping out boxes, I mean just thinking of how much wire is in there already, 6 breakers, so a ground & neutral each goes to the ground bus bar, and then there's the ground from the main panel... yeah I don't have time to do stuff that's more important, I'm not going to go dickin' around with swapping out panels. (Plus this one fits in the recessed area nicely.

The only extra tidbit with that old wiring + fish tank : make sure you have a good ground.
Not just the extra wire, but a real connection into the ground.

Nope, no 30amp outlet ever was there, I know this because I put the washer/dryer there as originally it was actually on the porch off the back (how that existing set still worked is beyond me, there was more rust in it than actual washer & dryer)

I'm doing the slow process of transitioning from all the old knob and tube wiring to new wiring. Some of it is downright scary, in the wall on the back of the house when I pulled the drywall away I found a little area where there was a rat nest (rat was long gone) but apparently it chewed the insulation right off the wire so there was a live bare wire in there when I was grabbing at stuff and pulling. But as I do a complete gut of rooms I simply put in new junction boxes, lights, and make sure all old wires in the wall are dead (which is the real pain because main of them share neutrals with other circuits)

But yeah seems like switching to dual switches is almost a no brainer.to get more circuits off the sub-panel.
Ahh...that brings back memories of our last house with knob and tube wiring that we remodeled ourselves. I agree about the shared neutrals and not necessarily having a real ground. Made remodeling fun.

Yeah grounds, if you even had them were tied to a cold water pipe. Now you're not allowed to do that BUT code requires you to tie your incoming cold water pipe to earth ground and not only that the hot water to the cold pipe at the water heater and then also tie the gas pipe to earth ground to.

Geese, code requires that you protect against people not following code... Oh the irony

I've worked in a building where long ago used to have gas lamps, not that so long ago it was wired for electrical lights. The gas pipes of the old lights are still connected to the main gas supply. I suggested to the owners when time comes to work, for whatever reason, behind the gas range to open the wall, disconnect the gas pipe that feeds the gas lamps and cap the pipes for good. Electrical cable is very old and friable, cotton sheat, no junction boxes or any other way to prevent an arch from a shorting cable to the gas pipe which in turn acts as "ground" since it runs all the way to the basement and buries in the ground...

Yeah grounds, if you even had them were tied to a cold water pipe. Now you're not allowed to do that BUT code requires you to tie your incoming cold water pipe to earth ground and not only that the hot water to the cold pipe at the water heater and then also tie the gas pipe to earth ground to.

Geese, code requires that you protect against people not following code... Oh the irony
And on my pretty new house:
Water pipe is all PVC, even the main. Copper inside the house, but that does not help,
Gas pipe is Nylon except right at the meter.

Well steel stand might be out, since I remember the tank is currently sitting on the steel stand that I would use the steel from (plus a metric crap ton of other junk). Might be unfair to ask people to move a tank twice, once to move it kind of near position, and again to move it on the stand when the stand is finish... Although I might go that route still :D

Well steel stand might be out, since I remember the tank is currently sitting on the steel stand that I would use the steel from (plus a metric crap ton of other junk). Might be unfair to ask people to move a tank twice, once to move it kind of near position, and again to move it on the stand when the stand is finish... Although I might go that route still :D
So...is a metric crap ton more than a standard metric ton...2200# ?

Metric crap ton is actually a unit of volume. ....
Err, what?
A metric ton is a unit of mass (1000 kilograms)
So a "metric crap ton" should be however much crap has the same mass.

Since a US ton = 2000 lbs = 900 kg, it would be slightly more crap than usual.
:)

So I can see mixing up weight and mass, especially for pounds.
But how did you get volume?

Err, what?
A metric ton is a unit of mass (1000 kilograms)
So a "metric crap ton" should be however much crap has the same mass.

Since a US ton = 2000 lbs = 900 kg, it would be slightly more crap than usual.
:)

So I can see mixing up weight and mass, especially for pounds.
But how did you get volume?
You’ve got to give him a break. He’s only a physics professor. ;)

Hmmm thought I replied to this... well when you have over 12000 posts on one message board you tend to forget most of what you said.

The confusion is in the nature of crap, I'm not referring to crap as CRAP, but as the unit of measurement crap, akin to "loads", "hella", "lotta" etc.
So crap has units of 1/density, seriously look it up in the CRC handbook!, which in itself should make sense since crap does come out upside down into the world... unless you're into some really weird stuff, and I won't judge I just don't want to know about it!

So [metric crap ton] = mass * 1 / density = mass * volume / mass = volume.
q.e.d.

Ok, saw our President at the local park with his kid when I was taking my kid to play. He asked more or less where things were, offered to help, etc. Told him time is what is hurting (that and old man can't do as much as he could 20 years ago syndrome).

So just banging things out a bit at a time. Need 12 foot beams to go across the floor, unfortunately the height of the original floor did not allow for 2x6 beams, so they blocked off under the old 2x4s, well long story short... those blocks that were in direct contact with concrete ended up rotting away over the 70 years this house has been standing, giving the floor a very noticeable bounce. So new boards, I originally wanted to just put everything on the concrete pad, but decided against it due to the slope of the pad. Unfortunately a few of the 12 footers have a nasty twist to them, so forcing the ends to twist back and blocking it all together so that it fights against other boards if it twists, and I figure the weight of the floor will hold it all together.
9VHbdBG.jpg

Basically just showing that stuff is getting done. And yeah there's a crap ton of crap :p

Back