Reef nutrition

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

Your 1st dosing schedule is for a 23:50 period n your 2nd is for 23.59. Will that cause the pumps to run at the same time occasionally? I don’t know but I think it will at least once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your 1st dosing schedule is for a 23:50 period n your 2nd is for 23.59. Will that cause the pumps to run at the same time occasionally? I don’t know but I think it will at least once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah i had the same thought, so I'll adjust it to
00:00->23:55
00:05->23:59

Question, shouldn't you dose in the morning when your pH is at its lowest?

I pretty much just let PH does its thing. Besides, each dose only blips PH by a tiny inconsequential bit anyway.

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 3.06.02 PM.png

Just dose whenever. It's so little so no point in worrying about it.

Low pH but each tank is different. Sanjay Joshi mentioned that his tank pH hits 8.0 at its peak.

Um, I don’t agree that those extremely low pH reading are no big deal. Coral skeletons start to passively dissolve below 7.7 or so, and calcification of new skeleton is significantly limited at these low pHs as well. The given range of 7.6-7.85 is really too low if it is accurate and a world of difference from 8.0.

I like Randy Holmes-Farley’s article on low pH:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Um, I don’t agree that those extremely low pH reading are no big deal. Coral skeletons start to passively dissolve below 7.7 or so, and calcification of new skeleton is significantly limited at these low pHs as well. The given range of 7.6-7.85 is really too low if it is accurate and a world of difference from 8.0.

I like Randy Holmes-Farley’s article on low pH:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, my stony corals are growing strong that's why I said that my calibration is likely off. As long as the PH movement is consistent and coral grow it's all good :)

My clownfish "lives" in the back corner of the tank, where the nori clip is. So every feeding time she would try to fend off the "invaders" who are all much bigger than her.

I have multiple dosing issues that made my alk swing down into 5.8 multiple times in a span of 2 weeks. The sticks were not happy but all pulled through except for this colony of tenuis.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 2.34.44 PM.png

PH trend as alk recover from 5.x to 7.x

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 2.35.27 PM.png

My snow polyps leather also went south but I can't figure out why. One part of it would start browning out and die. I tried cutting that part off then another area would start browning out.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 2.38.21 PM.png

Finally got around to giving my equipment a vinegar baths after almost a year of operation. The powerheads pump a ton more flow after the wash. My scoly wasn't too pleased. I ended up dropping power level a bit on the powerheads.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 2.40.32 PM.png

One of my Sestosa is STNing and I can't quite figure out why. It has been snuggling up to that Acan for a long time w/o any problem. On the other edge, it is slowly losing to the poker star but that side looks ok. My other Sestosas are fine.

Params, alk 8.0, cal 380, mag 1300

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 11.42.26 PM.png

Wow that sucks. Yeah a lot of my sps starting to touch each other and the pocillapora keeps spreading all over like weeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That happens sometimes when they'll leave each other alone for months and then one day parameters go out of whack and one piece suffers and the other moves in. I've had that happen to my Tyree sunset and the palis grandis. The sunset used to cover an entire rock and the grandis grew next to each other without an issue. Alk dropped and the sunset didn't like it and lost all of its colors and receded. It's finally recovering after being a couple of months of being all white and then the brown phase. You can see that it's slowly trying to grow back in the direction of the grandis and where it's getting stung.
sunset_monti_grandis_121417.jpg

Nail down your alk and the setosa should recover. They're pretty quick growers overall. The grafted one is slower growing and mine is started to fuse one of its branches to the Tonga which it grew into.
grafted_setosa_121417.jpg

What I'm more concerned with at the moment is the war on the borders between these two.
pf_unicorn_border_121417.jpg

Pink Floyd on the top and the BC Bubblebath Unicorn on the bottom. The unicorn likes to put down a massive base and has been slowly encroaching up to the PF. As you can see the PF has mesenterials out ready for the war. I hope they can find a medium somewhere where they don't overgrow each other. Otherwise, it's gonna be pulling that rock out and then cut down the borders and replanting them.

Back