Kessil

The Money Pit (Bruce S. #2)

It’s not only that it eats. It needs to be more aggressive. This current one chased all the other fish away.

I had 2 that were the 1st fish into the tank. They cruised the tank and hunted for pods and ate frozen. But when I started adding fish, they grew timid and eventually died from starvation.

This last one was introduced into the tank that already had a bunch of fish in it. Including a large Desjardini. I left it in an acclimation container for a week. Fed it from a pipette with thawed mysis. It would eat from the opening, not waiting for the mysis to get into the water.

After a week, I opened the door and observed it. When it swam out, the Desjardini immediately came over and flashed. This CB swam BACK into the box and sat there watching the Desjardini. This happened for a about a week. I would feed it if it was in the box but otherwise it ate outside.

Right now, it competes with the Desjardini for food even though it’s less than 1/2 the size. It actually eats from my hand if I hold frozen mysis in the water.

I find that CBBs want to peck at food, they have a hard time when the food is in the water column.

I put frozen food in a mesh pouch and it goes to town on it. Constantly pecking at the food and pulling bits out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, all my copperbands would go for mysis at the LFS, but none aggressively. Then when they would get home they'd stare at the mysis for a few seconds, contemplate, and then go for one, and then sometimes spit it out. I would pay good money for a healthy aggressively eating CBB. Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I decided to put this one in as the first fish. I don't want him to have to compete while he gets used to his new environment. Hopefully it works.

The funny thing about it is @Coral reefer was at the store when I got there and I asked if he thought it would be a good idea to put him in as the first. His reply, "well you don't need one yet in a new tank."

Updated photos and updated equipment list.
IMG_0950.jpg
IMG_0952.jpg
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg

Nice. How is the copperband doing? I also bought one of the aussie marginalis from AC a few weeks ago. Like Gablami's it only lasted two weeks. It was eating pretty aggressively too. I suspect it had internal parasites, as it got very thin, very quickly, despite eating well.

I've kept one before too, and he/she was fine for years (sold it when I broke my tank down to move to the US). If I get another I'll treat it for a week in prazi before putting it in the display tank.

Nice. How is the copperband doing? I also bought one of the aussie marginalis from AC a few weeks ago. Like Gablami's it only lasted two weeks. It was eating pretty aggressively too. I suspect it had internal parasites, as it got very thin, very quickly, despite eating well.

I've kept one before too, and he/she was fine for years (sold it when I broke my tank down to move to the US). If I get another I'll treat it for a week in prazi before putting it in the display tank.

So far so good.

You are able to treat the whole tank with prazipro. If it was a parasite it might be a good idea to do that anyway. Keep an eye out for any signs.

Bruce’s photo doesn’t do the tank justice, you need to see it in person to be amazed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back