Kessil

SW Black Mollies

I want to see if they'll feast on the diatoms in my new Nem tank. I used MarinePure Bioballs as a "substrate" which is great for the nems -- gives them crevices to reach their foot into but still easy to move if I need too. The issue is the white MarinePure balls quick turn to brown MarinePure balls and look lousy. I was thinking mollies.....

Since mollies are fresh water and you freshly acclimate them to salt water the black mollies would get ich and show up easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I did it a few weeks ago. Started with 2 and didn’t acclimate them, and they were both dead by the following morning. Second time, acclimated over 24 hours and they survived. Used them as ich canaries in QT after buying from Matt “the fish guy”. Watched the tank for another couple weeks and the mollies were spotless!

I had been trying to add diamond gobies to my tank, but they just weren’t handling TTM well. Now I have a pair doing great in DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And they are too nice to do that. They are very nice fish.
They actually are nice fish. The black ones are kinda plain though. Supposedly they eat algae.

The problem is now that you’ve used them, what to do with them? I don’t feel good about killing them. So they’re hanging out in the QT right now.

The only reason I used em was because I had killed several gobies previously trying to get them through TTM — a couple jumped through egg crate, a couple died from the stress without a sand bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back