Cali Kid Corals

RODI unit for Daly City water?

Trying to get my tank back up in shape with a new years resolution as its been on cruise control the whole time.

Does anyone know which rodi unit is best for daly city water? Not sure if we use chlorine or chloramine.

Thanks in advance!

I’d avoid used RODI units like the plague. There’s a sale at BRS right now. Take a peek (and jump). I have the 6-stage with chloramine block...Very low waste ratio to achieve 0 TDS.

I don't see why use one is no good ask you change is the filters and it's like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think you save much after changing everything out on a used one most of the time.

Yup! You have no idea on the condition of the membrane, and assuming filters have to be replaced, you might as well just start fresh. Not to mention the locline tubing and all those annoying connectors which you don't want leaking.

Wow thanks Eric!!

Now the issue about getting a RODI and why ive been buying water (well back when I was doing water changes) is my tank is only a 28 gallon. I dont require that much water. Sure long run it'll save me money, but its the short run..

Wow thanks Eric!!

Now the issue about getting a RODI and why ive been buying water (well back when I was doing water changes) is my tank is only a 28 gallon. I dont require that much water. Sure long run it'll save me money, but its the short run..
Most local sources charge right around $1.00 / Gal for RODI water. For a 30 Gal reef tank, I am using about 1 Gal / Day in my top off and 5 Gal / Week in water changes. So that's about $50 / mo in RODI water.

I think a 5 Stage RODI is ~ 200, (Air, Water & Ice Typhoon III $189) so your breakeven should be 4 months, presuming that running an RODI unit does not appreciably change your water bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRS is currently having a 10% sale on all their RO/DI units. Plus if you're a preferred member you get 5% back in reward points.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/specials/weekly-sale.html

Even when I only had a 12 gallon nano tank, I had my own RO/DI unit. Knowing my luck, I always feared that I would be needing water when the LFS shop was closed or for some freak reason, they wouldn't have it when I needed some.

Back