Jestersix

LEDs and acroporas

L/B Block

Supporting Member
So B came across an Article staying that acros don’t like LEDs.
Have forum members successfully grown out acros with LEDs.

It only takes one to rule out an absolute!

Also what are people using for lighting these days.
We are contemplating moving on up from the rapid LEDs. Would like something more plug and play with the apex fusion so that is a consideration. The Acan 800 looks nice but a little steep at $1500 for the 47”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neptune Aquatics, Diablo Corals and many other LFS's and coral propagators successfully grow under Kessil's specifically (not to say other LED's arent effective -- these are just close examples.). The AP 700 grows the heck out of corals which is why Neptune switched. What acros hate I suspect is bad LED's. In any case, this debate will go on forever. Some prefer MH, some T5's and some good quality LED's. All things being equal good and appropriate lights will grow SPS. My personal opinion is some just grow them faster, but often at a trade off for color -- so it depends on where your tank is and what your budget is.

Neptune Aquatics, Diablo Corals and many other LFS's and coral propagators successfully grow under Kessil's specifically (not to say other LED's arent effective -- these are just close examples.). The AP 700 grows the heck out of corals which is why Neptune switched. What acros hate I suspect is bad LED's. In any case, this debate will go on forever. Some prefer MH, some T5's and some good quality LED's. All things being equal good and appropriate lights will grow SPS. My personal opinion is some just grow them faster, but often at a trade off for color -- so it depends on where your tank is and what your budget is.
Thanks Bruce. Looking at the Ap700 in addition to the A360 tuna blues as well. Not speaking for the quality of one over the other is that the tunas are plug and play for the apex. Trying to take advantage of the apex where I can.

Last edited:
If you're going to Kessil do it before the end of the month. The AP 700 goes back up to $899.00 then from the current $700.00. I run the 360s on one tank, but I will switch them out shorty for AP700s. The700s are a significant upgrade

If you're going to Kessil do it before the end of the month. The AP 700 goes back up to $899.00 then from the current $700.00. I run the 360s on one tank, but I will switch them out shorty for AP700s. The700s are a significant upgrade
Good to know. My only objection to the 700 is that it’s not exactly plug and play to the apex, but if the lights are that much better then well-have to go that route.

Where did you see them for $700?
LB

Neptune Aquatics, Diablo Corals and many other LFS's and coral propagators successfully grow under Kessil's specifically
But LFS are not in the business of growing coral (usually) they get larger colonies, frag them down, and need enough to keep them alive and looking pretty.

That said Kris grew out a fantastic tank with Kessils, that said he exceeded the "recommended" number for area of his tank, so that part of LEDs you might need to take with a grain of salt. But again it's a matter of how much growth/light you want. Mike has IMO, not enough LEDs for his tank but his tank looks great.

But LFS are not in the business of growing coral (usually) they get larger colonies, frag them down, and need enough to keep them alive and looking pretty.

That said Kris grew out a fantastic tank with Kessils, that said he exceeded the "recommended" number for area of his tank, so that part of LEDs you might need to take with a grain of salt. But again it's a matter of how much growth/light you want. Mike has IMO, not enough LEDs for his tank but his tank looks great.
Thanks

While LEDs work great for growing acros, you also have to watch how many point light sources you provide acropora or other rigid branching corals specifically. Shading causes slow growth, probably because the illuminated portions have to generate enough energy for the shaded portions, and there isn’t enough energy leftover for growth. So a single Kessil or MH might not seem to work as well T5s due to shading. And MHs might seem to work well because they are usually coupled with fluorescent bulbs that eliminate shading.

Shading is def an issue alright. I was reading that the AP700 does a good job with that.
Still may be holding off a bit on that purchase given we have other expenses at the moment. So no acros for the while ;-(

Back