Cali Kid Corals

Keeping LPS corals under LED lighting

I’ve had a Red Sea Max with dual Ai 26HD as lighting. Understand I’ve been reefing since 1986 using T5 and Metal Halide. I’m keeping all LPS corals and would like to know which LPS corals can take light at the top of the tank instead of placing them along the bottom as suggested. Using LED’s maybe cool for newer reefers but personally I find them to be a pain in the ass. What settings are people using so they don’t negatively affect corals at the top where I am currently have acans and favia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AI app has a setting that uses Kelvins and total % rather than individual sliders. I suggest using that and starting at 15% total. It will look dark to you coming from T5 and MH but coral survive too little light better than too much light.

The AI app has a setting that uses Kelvins and total % rather than individual sliders. I suggest using that and starting at 15% total. It will look dark to you coming from T5 and MH but coral survive too little light better than too much light.

Where is it located? (On the App) I can’t find it

Go to control then select manual. There is an icon in the top right

Looks like concentric circles.

It will take you to a screen that looks like this.

1d37e4ac2502bdf72182030efad2ba3b.jpg

it too
much for LPS. There is a store next to me Fish etc. - they have display tank with same light and LPS on top - their light looks like 25-30% max.

How high off water are your lights, and how far below the surface is the top of your rocks? Generally I set them about 60-75 blues, 40 white. 10 red and green.
Why use the leds if they are a pain? T5 and halide still work great.

How high off water are your lights, and how far below the surface is the top of your rocks? Generally I set them about 60-75 blues, 40 white. 10 red and green.
Why use the leds if they are a pain? T5 and halide still work great.
From what I’ve heard if you go past 20 percent white it will burn corals.

That is a very arbitrary thing to say, it depends a lot on several factors. How high are the lights. How long do they run at the highest power? How far below surface are the corals? What is the footprint of the tank?
I have had lots of success with several tanks with these lights at roughly the settings I posted.

That is a very arbitrary thing to say, it depends a lot on several factors. How high are the lights. How long do they run at the highest power? How far below surface are the corals? I have had lots of success with several tanks with these lights at roughly the settings I posted.
I’ll try your settings. Like I said reefing was a lot easier without LED.

Why make the change then?
DO NOT increase the settings more than a few percentage each channel per few days or a week at a time.
Like I said they came with my tank. My wife bought it as a Christmas present last year. Since then I’ve been tinkering with them a lot taking the fun out of reefing.

I've seen tanks (Lapsan) who had things like acan lords really high in his tank under 400watt metal halide bulbs, a lot of LPS will surprise you to how much light they can take. However a big portion of it is acclimation. If you have some lps in a store that's under primarily blue or actinic light just to showcase the fluorescent colorations then you'll want to slowly acclimate them.

Like I said they came with my tank. My wife bought it as a Christmas present last year. Since then I’ve been tinkering with them a lot taking the fun out of reefing.

I guess I missed that part, is there another thread? It sure doesn’t say that here.

Most LPS (hammer , frogspawn etc) can take pretty strong lighting , as long as you ramp up intensity slowly. I have seen only a handful (acan, goniopora etc) that does not like too much light. You have to be careful about individual channels, I am a kessil user, so I dont worry about that a lot, but for AI and nano box users, this is something to be careful about

Back