Neptune Aquatics

Mozby's Noob Nano Reef (Nuvo 20)

A growth on my Blastomussa - a third head or a parasite??
IMG_8032.JPG

When I picked up this Blasto, the seller said that it was growing another head. But weeks later the weird protrusion never morphed into anything resembling a blasto polyp, rather looking a tad similar to vermatid snails, although different. Any clues to what this might be? Should I perform surgery?

I think that with our first shrimps most of us think that they have died when we see body parts in our reefs for the first time. We thought ours were dead at times until we inspected and found out it is only a molt. Here is Peter's molt from his Mantis Shrimp:
View attachment 9508
That would mean I might have 2 pistol shrimps hiding somewhere under the rocks. And yet a sighting of one is so rare. How sad that both pistol shrimps have no gobies to guide/alert them. YWG Fail!

I think that with our first shrimps most of us think that they have died when we see body parts in our reefs for the first time. We thought ours were dead at times until we inspected and found out it is only a molt. Here is Peter's molt from his Mantis Shrimp:
View attachment 9508
Speaking of molting, my cleaner shrimp has molted twice already!
a25cb72f1226dbc339b20442c9f0e2cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time when my shrimp does that, I always thought it’s dead, and my heart sank. it gets me every f time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably from all the extra food he’s digging out of the anemone’s mouth
Haha thankfully no. This was before I got that anemone. I caught him doing that for 2 days and shut it down. He is in the QT tank on permanent timeout lol.

Haha thankfully no. This was before I got that anemone. I caught him doing that for 2 days and shut it down. He is in the QT tank on permanent timeout lol.

Hahha I was thinking of doing that with my goldbar maroon, and magically it became docile again. I think it heard me yelling at it... “knock it out or Im throwing you in jail!”

Did you give it a chance to right its wrong before throwing it into the QT tank? [emoji23]

Hahha I was thinking of doing that with my goldbar maroon, and magically it became docile again. I think it heard me yelling at it... “knock it out or Im throwing you in jail!”

Did you give it a chance to right its wrong before throwing it into the QT tank? [emoji23]

Did your maroon ever bite you?

Did your maroon ever bite you?

Not yet. I used to hand feed it but ever since I got the anemone.... it only gets drifting pellets in the water.

When I was placing my coral, it swam close to my hand but kept running away when I swished my hand at it. If it bites me, its definitely going time out.

Yes, I gave it a chance, hence 2 days. I tried keeping it away until the anemone fully swallowed. I even fed it first before feeding the anemone on the second day. Still wanted to be bad, so he got booted!

Not yet. I used to hand feed it but ever since I got the anemone.... it only gets drifting pellets in the water.

When I was placing my coral, it swam close to my hand but kept running away when I swished my hand at it. If it bites me, its definitely going time out.

One of my clowns has started doing that too. In fact she’s already bitten me a couple of times already. I wonder if me turning the tank upside down to catch the shrimp really upset them lol. Probably.

Its been awhile since I've updated my journal....

First Major Algae Battle (6 months ago)
Took a 1 week vacation in April and came back to my first GHA invasion. Since my tank was only 2 months old at the time, I'll blame it on the ugly phase. In trying to combat this situation, I did the following:
  • Brushed the rocks and blew detritus off daily.
  • Reduced feeding to once a day but left the light schedule alone.
  • Ran GFO in a reactor (but only until PO4 went below 0.03ppm).
  • Additionally, I was beefing up the CUC to help mow down all that grass... and learned that emerald crabs are the MVPs of GHA eaters. I know a lot of experienced reefers don't trust crabs, but I am nonetheless thoroughly impressed by their ability to make GHA vanish.
Here's the before and after:
IMG_7905.JPG

IMG_7908.JPG

First Fish Casualty

Lost my first fish - "Eggsy" the Yellow Watchman Goby. One fateful night, he pulled off an improbable feat by threading the needle, and jumping in between the small gap between the tank and the lid to go carpet surfing.
RIP, buddy.
IMG_7490.JPG
IMG_0473.jpg

Cute Critter (came and gone)

Finally got my hands on a lettuce nudibranch, thanks to @jorahx4. Little critter was happily roaming the tank and growing bigger until one day he looked a little injured and eventually died. I am unsure what happened to him. My guesses are he either poked his head into the mp10 and got tuned up or he had a hostile encounter with the emerald crab (or pistol shrimp). RIP, little fella.
IMG_0358.jpg

Taking stock of coral performance in my tank
As others have experienced, some corals do great in a particular tank while some others do not. The challenging part is that its a bit of a mystery as to why they thrive or decline.
Corals that thrive in my tank - Acans, Blastos, Duncans, Euphyllias (except torch), Pipe organ, Pocillopora, Stylos, Digitatas.... mostly LPS and easy SPS.
Corals that stay alive but don't flourish in my tank - Shrooms, Clove polyps, Cauliflower colt, Acros.... mostly softies and leathers (which are supposed to be the easiest?).
Corals that have bitten the dust - my first torch (cause of death is still a mystery), goniopora (might have hurt it too much by trying to pry it off the frag plug).

Lighting Upgrade
Finally decided to splurge and upgrade my lights. Sold my AI Prime HD and got Radion XR30 Gen4 Pro w/diffusers. Overkill for my tank (I know, I know), but I just wanted to get the best and eliminate lighting from the list of possible issues when figuring out troubled coral. I now have more placement spots in the tank due to the increased spread. Also, the acros finally have polyp extension! In other news, I splurged on an apex as well but haven't installed it yet.
IMG_1240.jpg
IMG_1266.jpg

Last edited:
Back