got ethical husbandry?

Is there a growing trend to eliminate filter socks?

Do you use filter socks?

• Total voters
Heard this revelation from @ashburn2k. We agreed to put this poll out just to see how much of this is indeed true. As a bonus, for those of you who no longer use filter socks, kindly comment on your reason and what you have done to make up for the loss of mech filtration. Conversely if you feel you cannot do without filter socks, pls feel free to sound out as well. Thanks!

I only use them when I’m cleaning my tank, so that the debris that gets in the water column clears out faster. Otherwise, they are removed.

I used to use them. I never noticed any difference in water clarity or parameters with or without them. I also wasn’t cleaning them 3 times per week like you would have to in order to have them be effective for nutrient export. I don’t have problem with nitrate/phosphate so I don’t need them for export anyway.

I also like the idea of not having anything blocking pods and other microfauna from going between the tank and refugium. But that is just theoretical, not any real observation.

Mostly, I don’t think there is a big difference in using vs not using, and it is one fewer chore.

Haven't ever used them, other than the sock that came with the waterbox AIO, which I will ditch as soon as it gets dirty.

I prefer to keep things natural so that the bacteria, sponges, and corals have a ready source of nutrients.

I use the klir auto roll fleece. I notice definitely water clarity compare to not using it. I guess the 50 micron fleece really polishes the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i have 2 media cups to replace the socks. i cut a few filter pads to put on top of the matrix that are inside of them. i change them out every thursday before trash pick up day.

i use filter socks, and they seem to get dirty enough to where it is probably removing a substaintial amount of nutrients. I also have skimmer and chaeto

I use a filter cup with marinepure spheres. Trying to give a better place for my nopox fed bacteria to live, other than on my glass. Not sure if it's working or coincidence, but ever since I added the spheres to the high flow area, the glass has kept much cleaner.

Once in awhile I'll use filter floss or a filter pad (cut into circles). The filter pad was my go-to, but it's not as easy as grabbing a handful of filter floss to stuff in the cup. I only do this before I start cleaning the glass / stirring the sand / changing water. It gets clogged in about 10 hours.

I notice a lot more water clarity, in terms of less bits of stuff floating around. But the bits are probably good to have.

With filter socks, I was having to change them out once a day or more. I believe it's getting really clogged because of the aggressive NoPox I'm dosing.

i stopped using them when i found out if i get lazy and didnt replace the sock enough, water will overflow and spill my floor. ( overflow foams like skimmers )

I don’t use socks, my sump is built to not have them. But every once in awhile when stiring up the macro algae I throw a filter pad in to catch that debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use them when I’m cleaning my tank, so that the debris that gets in the water column clears out faster. Otherwise, they are removed.

I used to use them. I never noticed any difference in water clarity or parameters with or without them. I also wasn’t cleaning them 3 times per week like you would have to in order to have them be effective for nutrient export. I don’t have problem with nitrate/phosphate so I don’t need them for export anyway.

I also like the idea of not having anything blocking pods and other microfauna from going between the tank and refugium. But that is just theoretical, not any real observation.

Mostly, I don’t think there is a big difference in using vs not using, and it is one fewer chore.
Ditto here...used to use them religiously. Now, only when I clean/do water changes. It's one less thing to do for me.

There should be an "Sometimes" choice for the poll. Like other here I only use one when cleaning my tank, otherwise I don't have any mechanical filtration in an effort to have a good pod population.

There should be an "Sometimes" choice for the poll. Like other here I only use one when cleaning my tank, otherwise I don't have any mechanical filtration in an effort to have a good pod population.
The poll was designed yes/no because I am trying to get a sense of whether people use filter socks during daily operation. It is, however, an interesting point that some use it during maintenance only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back