High Tide Aquatics

Can I use water from the Ocean for my saltwater tank?

Find it kind of funny they list a pH of the water when that can very largely change based on atmospheric CO2 concentration. Also what is with that wide range of Calcium? I mean if they're "enhancing" it shouldn't they be able to get it to a particular level?

The reason I used Bob's NSW for years was simply because it was stable at NSW levels and I could keep stable levels with a steady amount of dosing to the levels I wanted. If they are buffering then even their ranges are suspect as those levels degrade rather quickly depending on how long the water sits.

If you're ever in the south bay, Neptune Aquatics sells NSW that's buffered and Ca+ dosed for $1.25/G. . RODI there is $0.75.

Fortunately for me, the Wholefoods near me has RODI refill for $0.49/G

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
What water is sold at wholefoods that is 0.49/g I think I saw some big barrel water replacement at home depot as well.

Is this something that you are referring to: https://www.homedepot.com/p/5-Gal-Water-with-Empty-Exchange-5galex/205216096

What water is sold at wholefoods that is 0.49/g I think I saw some big barrel water replacement at home depot as well.

Is this something that you are referring to: https://www.homedepot.com/p/5-Gal-Water-with-Empty-Exchange-5galex/205216096

Stay away from those, they have added minerals and we don’t know what minerals.
Some stores such as Safeway, Lucky, Whole Foods, FoodsCo and more, have a machine that sells RO water; not RODI.
The water is good enough and filters are serviced often.
You just have to bring your container to fill it. I have a few 5g containers, the white ones I showed you; I’m only using two at the moment, you are welcome to borrow them as long as you need/want.
I really think an RO unit is the best investment for you so you can mix your own saltwater; could be an RO and later you can add a DI canister.

The water I'm talking about is from the machine for refills. The WF in Los Altos is the only one that dispenses RODI.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Don't expect the natural salt water vendors to deliver to the average hobbyist.
If you have a large 200+ G storage tank, and wholesale license, sure.
But if you just want 50G for personal use occasionally, I doubt they would even talk to you.

By the time you go find a clean ocean source, pump water out, and filter it, it is probably
far more hassle than making it yourself. And if you amortize tanks, pumps, gas to get there, and filters,
it is not free either.

I also don't see why people with small tanks go through all the expense and hassles of RODI systems and
so on either if it is only a few gallons per month.
If you add up salt, amortize RODI cost, DI costs, and so on, you are probably at $0.40 per gallon for IO,
and you can get it already made for $1.

For the average hobbyist, really only 2 things make sense to me.
Smaller tanks - just buy it at LFS.
Larger tanks - make it yourself.

Reactions: JVU
But if you just want 50G for personal use occasionally, I doubt they would even talk to you.

By the time you go find a clean ocean source, pump water out, and filter it, it is probably
far more hassle than making it yourself. And if you amortize tanks, pumps, gas to get there, and filters,
it is not free either.

I also don't see why people with small tanks go through all the expense and hassles of RODI systems and
If you add up salt, amortize RODI cost, DI costs, and so on, you are probably at $0.40 per gallon for IO,

Bob has a minimum of 100 gallons, but won't do that amount happily and will charge a premium for it -- so not worth it.

it is not free either.

Your recommendation is what almost everyone does, and is solid

Before I started with saltwater tanks I already had an RO system for drinking water. When I got my 30 gallon tank I just used the same RO system even though it still had a few tds. When I upgraded to the 120 gallon tank I upgraded my RO system and added DI as well.

If I only had a 30 gallon tank and no RO system already it would take quite a bit of time before the home RO system made fiscal sense. There is always the hassle of needing to go somewhere to get the water though.

With the 120 it made so much more sense though. I went through more than a gallon a day just for top off water.

Back